OpenVPN client docker container?

I would like to use the new features in 6.8.3 to route network traffic from some of my dockers through an openVPN connection using my PIA VPN, however I can't seem to find an openVPN client docker in the community plugins. Am I just blind and completely missing it? What are other people using to enable this feature? Is there a way to use docker images that aren't from community plugins?

7 hours ago, bling said:

there are tons on docker hub.  pick one and add it manually.

Thanks, I haven't quite figured out how to manually add dockers to unraid.

6 hours ago, testdasi said:

I use binhex privoxyvpn by binhex - he's an old-timer on the app store.

There's also OVPN_Privoxy by alturismo - he wrote the guide on how to use the --net new feature

Thanks! Maybe the privoxy part was throwing me off, because I haven't come across that yet.. I'll look into it.

1 hour ago, cbc02009 said:

Thanks, I haven't quite figured out how to manually add dockers to unraid.

Thanks! Maybe the privoxy part was throwing me off, because I haven't come across that yet.. I'll look into it.

hit the 'add container' button at the bottom of the docker tab in unraid and fill in the details.  as for privoxy, that's just a proxy that allows other applications to reuse the existing VPN connection of the container.  prior to the introduction of --net, this was how you got other containers to reuse a single VPN connection.  however, it also means that the software must support specifying a custom proxy server.

with --net, you don't need to define a proxy configuration in any client running in a child container because it's network gets isolated to only use what the parent container can provide.  however, it's still useful to have a proxy for non-docker applications.  for example, instead of running some VPN software on your windows machine, you can change Chrome/Firefox's proxy settings to go through your docker container.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi All,

Just wondering how I can use this technique to send me an email whenever someone connects to my OpenVPN server.

https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?t=10024#p21193

I've got the script working standalone obviously and have put it into 

/mnt/user/appdata/openvpn-as/scripts

When I try to run it from the console to test though I get

# ./openvpn-connection-alert-script.sh
./openvpn-connection-alert-script.sh: line 9: sendmail: command not found

Anyone know how to get sendmail into the docker container?

Second question is how to get it to use the UnRaid SMTP config which currently successfully can send emails from a gmail account.

Edited by phoenixdiigital