Companion - An Android App for UNRAID

IanB

I'm sorry, you've had your one feature request ;) (joking!)

I still want to look at adding more log support, both the main Unraid server log and VMs. I am attempting to do it without asking the user to install a Companion Plugin (Companion Companion? 🤔). 

As for some additional plugin support, and some other features, i'm trying to be careful not to expose the app to too many version specific dependencies. At the moment, Unraid does not support an official API which means a lot of the integration could be fragile as Unraid push more updates/improvements. I really hope they release an official API in the near future, as my app is pretty well placed to quickly switch over to it and then the gates open to new features!

@Daigurren69 - I'm sorry you're having issues, it should be either the public IP address or the local one. As they're not working for you, would you be able to send me the app logs (inside the app go to Settings > Send Feedback). That should generate an email addressed to me and attach the logs. That way, I can take a look as to what is happening and maybe identify the issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Just found this tonight and bought it. Noticed a few minor things.

- I set my temp units to Freedom, but the disk temps are still in Correct.
- I rotated my phone to see if I could see some more detail on the Disks tab, but when I did, the page flipped to Dashboard, but Disks was listed as the active tab. It flips back to Dashboard on portrait to landscape no matter what tab you were originally on.
- When I rotated and then selected the Disks tab (to get around the above), the top "graph" section of the page won't scroll with the full page, acting like a static-ish header. That leaves a very skinny scrollable area to view and you have to find that area in order to scroll.

Love what you have so far!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

@smikwily - Thanks for the feedback!

- Good catch, I had been focussing on the temperatures displayed in the Dashboard and completely forgot about the Disk ones. 

- Reproduce, thanks! Can't believe i've missed that one for so long

- Huh, I have no idea what is happening, but you're correct

I've logged all three issues and will look to get them fixed as soon as I can. Thanks for the purchase and happy to hear you're liking it. If you hit any other issues, or have any other feedback, please just shout.

Ian

Just pushed a new release to Google Play...

### 1.12 ###

- [New] Airflow information.

- [New] Force Stop support for Virtual Machines.

- Improve displayed Share information.

- Fix pie chart to correctly show usage across all disks.

- Virtual machines would appear stopped when actually paused.

- Restore selected tab when rotating device.

- Display disk temperatures in F when required. - Scroll Disks tab correctly.

@smikwily - you'll see fixes for the three issues you reported, thanks again! Please let me know if spot anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sorry for the lack of updates recently. I'd love to have a better excuse than it's been tough. I was able to get some time this weekend though and managed to prioritise a few fixes/regressions that had happened with various plugin updates (really wish there was an official API!). I also managed to finish off a few requested features too (more in the pipeline):

### 1.13 ###
 - [New] Advanced options to change layout of Dockers and Virtual Machines.
 - [New] Show CPU core usage.
 - Hide "Free" label in Shares tab when loading.
 - Fix display of Unassigned Devices.
 - Improve layout when adding a server in night mode.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:57 AM, IanB said:

@Urban - Sorry you're experiencing that. If you can send Feedback from inside the app (Settings > Send feedback), it will create an email you can send to me that includes the app logs which will hopefully indicate what is going wrong.

I sent the logs over, thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @IanB, I just recently started looking for an Unraid app, and discovered Companion and ControlR. Companion is absolutely beautiful in comparison, and your support in this thread is amazing.

I have a couple of questions.

1. If there is only one saved server, is it possible to have the app automatically open that server at startup? (Could be an option if not everyone wants that.)

2. Am I blind or is there no uptime stat? Seems like a pretty basic thing to have. :-) 

Otherwise I am very happy with the app! Thanks again!

Love the app, top quality amazing features and can't wait to see what else is to come, was curious if you could get plex stream's to work ?

@ThEdOtOr Thanks, i'm glad you're liking the app. As for better support for Plex, i'm a little torn on this one. While it would be nice to add features that better support Plex, i'm also reluctant because i'd prefer to keep my hobby project (Companion) separate from my Job (yes, at Plex). For managing Plex streams, have you tried using Plex Dash? It's one of the PlexLabs apps that is dedicated to server administration.

and the ability to move the tab's around on the main screen to anyones liking ? 

This request has come up before. I'll take a look, thanks!

I have a couple of questions.

1. If there is only one saved server, is it possible to have the app automatically open that server at startup? (Could be an option if not everyone wants that.)

2. Am I blind or is there no uptime stat? Seems like a pretty basic thing to have. 🙂

@micahmo - Thanks for the suggestion, both have come up in the past. I'll take a look at them again and agree that the uptime state "seems pretty basic" but it's just frustratingly more challenging. I dream that an official Unraid API will be released in the future, but right now, the application needs to basically scrape different pages from the Web dashboard, parsing them and then rebuild them for the app. The uptime is hidden away in a javascript variable which just is annoying, doable but annoying.

22 minutes ago, IanB said:

@ThEdOtOr Thanks, i'm glad you're liking the app. As for better support for Plex, i'm a little torn on this one. While it would be nice to add features that better support Plex, i'm also reluctant because i'd prefer to keep my hobby project (Companion) separate from my Job (yes, at Plex). For managing Plex streams, have you tried using Plex Dash? It's one of the PlexLabs apps that is dedicated to server administration.

This request has come up before. I'll take a look, thanks!

@IanB That is fair enough its a bloody good hobby great work  ! wish i could do stuff like that, 😅 yeah i have it installed was just thinking it would be easier in one app but i understand that you would wanna keep them separate. 

Awesome many thanks for your time and the excellent work you are doing !

Ditto the thanks, and totally understand that this is a hobby project!

BTW, this is a super minor aesthetic thing I noticed. Whenever there is a list of items, the scroll animation (like then you're at the top or bottom) is only as wide as the items, but it doesn't go to the edge of the app. Not sure if it's a margin vs. padding thing, but thought I'd mention it. 🙂

Edited by micahmo
  • 2 weeks later...

@giustanca The app connects to the Unraid server the same way that you would connect to the webGUI in a browser. In other words, in order to access from outside your network, you would either need to be connected via VPN so that the local IP is accessible, or you would need to expose your Unraid webGUI to the internet (not recommended).

@IanB Just out of curiosity, I wonder if it would be easier to access the server uptime via the Dynamix System Information plugin (if installed). I see that you are already accessing Dynamix plugin info for system temps, GPU info, etc. It also looks like the uptime value on the Dynamix System Information is static, so you could scrape it directly from the page without looking for a js var.

Edited by micahmo
Fix @ mentions
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

With last Unraid update I had an issue, Array is always shown as stopped (but started in real)

I also have this error in log when using Companion

Mar 18 14:04:18 MNAS webGUI: Successful login user root from 192.168.1.100
Mar 18 14:04:18 MNAS root: error: /main: missing csrf_token
Mar 18 14:04:18 MNAS nginx: 2021/03/18 14:04:18 [error] 11120#11120: *730432 FastCGI sent in stderr: "Primary script unknown" while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.1.100, server: , request: "POST /plugins/dynamix.system.temp/include/SystemTemp.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock:", host: "192.168.1.253"
Mar 18 14:04:18 MNAS nginx: 2021/03/18 14:04:18 [error] 11120#11120: *730432 FastCGI sent in stderr: "Primary script unknown" while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.1.100, server: , request: "GET /plugins/gpustat/gpustatus.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock:", host: "192.168.1.253"

On 3/21/2021 at 7:41 PM, Meldrak said:

Finally this issue only occur if Unraid Interface is set to French

Companion seems to works only with English language

I kept my unraid in English as I was thinking that it's too early to use langage package. you confirm my thoughts.