Unraid crashes back to post screen

Hello,

ive had my unraid server running with few complications for about 18 months now, until last night. 

the server became unresponsive couldn’t access webgui or ssh so I had to do a forced unsafe shut down which got the server back up for about 30 minutes and the same thing happened again, so I decided to plug in a screen and have a look at unraids console which I then I found that I couldn’t because the server was displaying the post screen and not unraids console.  So I had to do an unsafe shutdown again and the problem recurred within about 30 minutes.

im not sure how to trouble shoot this one because when it crashes I can’t access the console to save the logs.  I really don’t want to keep shutting down the server because I don’t want to risk my data.

this problem seems to have developed on its own without any config changes so I am unsure as to whether it is a software or hardware problem.

any suggestions on how to proceed?  I am opened to a fresh copy of unraid as long It is possible to keep all data intact and some of the docker config.

thankyou in advance.

Edited by creesy

No worries I’ll do this first and report back.  

im also running a fairly outdated bios which I’ve avoided updating because it needs to be done from windows for some rediculous reason so I’ll boot a windows live and do that as well.

thanks

So as it turns out I can still access the console when it crashes but if I use the diagnostics command it doesn't write the zip file to the usb.  

Also when I plug the usb into a windows pc it prompts me that there is a problem with the drive etc.  but I can still access the files.  Could the problem be that the usb drive has become corrupted?

I also can run memtest if I try to the system reboots.

Edited by creesy

just to add since I put the usb drive back in the server and restarted it, all my docker containers are missing so its looking more and more likely that the boot usb is corrupted somehow.

the data seems to still be intact

im really not sure how to proceed and protect my data.