NVMe-SSD (Cache or unassigned) on ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Hi folks,

just a short question: Is it possible to use a NVMe-SSD with PCIe x1 adapter on this Board under unRAID?

I read an article that all chipsets from intel from 6x on can handle this, BUT...

The OS must provide a proper driver for the NVMe-SSD.

Does someone know if unraid has this driver included?

Thanks for your support

Edited by Zonediver
11 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

...50 views and noone knows, if a driver for a NVMe-SSD is implemented... hmmmm 🙄

Because your question is rather niche.

Does Unraid have NVME driver? It has been for quite a long while now.

Does Unraid support NVMe over PCIe x1 adapter? That's not a question for Unraid.

Theoretically, you can plug any device to a x1 slot as long as it physically fits. It would just run at x1 speed. That is common knowledge.

So theoretically your NVMe should work via the PCIe x1 adapter.

But without having the exact hardware that you have, there's really absolutely no way for anyone to answer for sure.

...you can see my "exact" hardware in my siganture... well - if noone has a clue , i will try it and see what happens...

By the way: Speed is not the point - i dont need 1000MB/s speed on the SSD - i can life with 400MB/s as well.

Reason for this is, i dont have a spare SATA3 connection for an additional SSD - only SATA2 connections remaining...

Edited by Zonediver
1 hour ago, Zonediver said:

...you can see my "exact" hardware in my siganture... well - if noone has a clue , i will try it and see what happens...

By the way: Speed is not the point - i dont need 1000MB/s speed on the SSD - i can life with 400MB/s as well.

Reason for this is, i dont have a spare SATA3 connection for an additional SSD - only SATA2 connections remaining...

You missed my point.

It's not about whether I can see your config or not.

It's about HAVING your exact hardware to try it out to tell you for sure that it would work 100%.

Also for your case, you can simply switch a HDD from SATA3 to SATA2 and use the SSD on the SATA3. Your HDD is unlikely to saturate SATA2 to begin with.

• 10 months later...
On 3/14/2020 at 11:08 AM, Zonediver said:

Thats the point... i cant switch SATAs because of the position of the SATAs on the board, the length of the cables and the size of my Case...

I have no choice... i need a SSD directly on the board on a PCIe x1 slot...

I cannot speak as to unRAID's specifics, but on the nvme-supporting Beta BIOS or by injecting the nVME UEFI driver yourself, your (and mine) z77 extreme4 DOES SUPPORT BOOTING FROM NVME drives; regardless of their method of attachment. I had been daily driving a server-surplus PM963 in an x4 adapter, and got another to RAID0 in my new x570 build. To test and wipe my 'new' matching drive, I used an x1 pcie lane 'mining riser' and an ultra-cheapo passive m.2 m-key to x4 adapter. The SSD works great and can fully saturate the single lane it's connected to. Considering getting some x1 adapters and those dirt cheap 16GB Optane drives, but that's a solution without a problem.

tl;dr

Yes, x4 m-key nvme SSDs generally (I do not know of an exception, but there no doubt is one) will work connected to a single (x1) pci-e lane. You will only get the bandwidth that can be negotiated over that single lane (1.1, 2.0, or 3.0) but it absolutely works; speaking from experience as I'm looking at my 960GB PM963 running externally over a x1 riser. If it works on the board-level, then unRAID 'should' be able to 'see' them.

Gathering from the other posts, it absolutely 'should' work as long as your nVME SSD is supported. AFAIK, unRAID supports all nVME SSDs, but again, there are probably exceptions.

Edited by LabRat
Made clear that I also own same mobo as OP
7 hours ago, LabRat said:

I cannot speak as to unRAID's specifics, but on the nvme-supporting Beta BIOS or by injecting the nVME UEFI driver yourself, your (and mine) z77 extreme4 DOES SUPPORT BOOTING FROM NVME drives; regardless of their method of attachment. I had been daily driving a server-surplus PM963 in an x4 adapter, and got another to RAID0 in my new x570 build. To test and wipe my 'new' matching drive, I used an x1 pcie lane 'mining riser' and an ultra-cheapo passive m.2 m-key to x4 adapter. The SSD works great and can fully saturate the single lane it's connected to. Considering getting some x1 adapters and those dirt cheap 16GB Optane drives, but that's a solution without a problem.

tl;dr

Yes, x4 m-key nvme SSDs generally (I do not know of an exception, but there no doubt is one) will work connected to a single (x1) pci-e lane. You will only get the bandwidth that can be negotiated over that single lane (1.1, 2.0, or 3.0) but it absolutely works; speaking from experience as I'm looking at my 960GB PM963 running externally over a x1 riser. If it works on the board-level, then unRAID 'should' be able to 'see' them.

Gathering from the other posts, it absolutely 'should' work as long as your nVME SSD is supported. AFAIK, unRAID supports all nVME SSDs, but again, there are probably exceptions.

The problem has been solved in the meantime, because I switched platforms and the new mainboard has two M.2 slots