Help Take the Fight to COVID-19 with BOINC and Folding@home

18 minutes ago, iaweegian said:

I am excited about this.  Only wish there was an option not to install the client automatically locally on the management device (iMac in my case) in order to manage the docker container.  

It is not necessary to install the management for BOINC on another machine.

I have been running RDP BOINC on my Unraid server ever since @aptalca first created it at my request. The Advanced View within the docker will let you do all of that.

I have not tried the other one currently being promoted. Its support link seems to go to a thread that doesn't even mention it, at least not in its first post.

from the BOINC wiki:

Some BOINC-based projects have applications that run on GPUs. These applications run from 10X to 200X faster than the CPU-only version depending on the application, CPU and GPU in question. We urge BOINC participants to use them if possible. Just follow these instructions:

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/GPU_computing

Maybe this project isn't supporting GPU computations. Drivers are up-to-date for me and I have my VM with a 1080ti the BOINC client is detecting the GPU. Setting the client to use the GPU even when in use doesn't change anything. GPU load monitored with GPUZ doesn't ramp up. Not even a single spike.

2 minutes ago, Jerky_san said:

So.. realize that when my GPU and CPU are running pretty hard it's bad news bears for my battery lol. Super glad I'm not running PBO level 3 right now.. I'd probably trip the battery.

image.png.a4cad5f9cc67f649c1cdcd6efd574ae3.png

Full speed ahead Scotty we need more power. :)

• Haha 1

I'm trying to get fully setup, I've got it running on my cpu, but I have an amd gpu(rx570) that I can't get to work. So, my main question is: Since I can't find much information on getting amd gpus to work with unraid, is running the client software on a vm that has the GPU passed through the best option?

12 hours ago, tarstarkus said:

I'm trying to get fully setup, I've got it running on my cpu, but I have an amd gpu(rx570) that I can't get to work. So, my main question is: Since I can't find much information on getting amd gpus to work with unraid, is running the client software on a vm that has the GPU passed through the best option?

With an amd gpu, yes a vm is your best option to do gpu folding

• Like 1
1 minute ago, hernandito said:

Other than following the normal step to create the Boinc docker,

@SpencerJ itemized it step by step in the blog (although sometimes you do have to read between the lines).  For an easier install, you can use the RDP-boinc app instead which means you don't need to worry about configuring the manager on a client computer

3 minutes ago, hernandito said:

Folding at Home made my unRAID box emit a very high pitch sound.

Same thing will happen with BOINC unless you turn down it's CPU preferences (which you can also do in F@H).  This odds on means that your BIOS is bitching and complaining that you've exceeded a temperature warning you've set within it.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, iaweegian said:

I am excited about this.  Only wish there was an option not to install the client automatically locally on the management device (iMac in my case) in order to manage the docker container.  

Same. I selected my unraid computer on my mac client, but previous to that it was running on my mac. Is it still installed and running on my mac too?

40 minutes ago, cherrybullet said:

Same. I selected my unraid computer on my mac client, but previous to that it was running on my mac. Is it still installed and running on my mac too?

It shouldn't be, but if you were running it on your mac previously you'll want to delete the data it downloaded, which if I remember correctly is at /Library/Application Support/BOINC.

I found it much easier to just switch to @aptalca's RDP docker that @trurl mentioned. 

Edited by xthursdayx
  • Like 2