Help Take the Fight to COVID-19 with BOINC and Folding@home

43 minutes ago, tucansam said:

Despite dedicating four cores to this in the config, this software is pegging my CPU and turning it into the surface of the sun.

How to fix?  Found the "use no more than XX%" in the RDP config, looks like that works for now.

Got Rosetta@Home, couldn't find Unraid team.

1 hour ago, Reynald said:

Hello,

I'm in with Bionic RDP.

Even using advanced view, I cannot find where to choose the team when adding the project... Any guidance please?

You can set it up on their website: https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/home.php

How much disk space is everyone devoting to this? I just set a 10 GB cap for now. Anyone just go with the default settings? How's that working for you?

Also, anyone find that the BIONC manager lags on macOS?

Stuck on this screen a lot:

image.png.6c2139644cacca69a0a870c47b82d0f9.png

It also appears you can do all of your configuration from the website after you logged into your BIONC account in the manager software and synced it with the docker client.

image.thumb.png.d3a4ca58889468779ada3e48bdbad29e.png

Also, happy to report that I'm up and running! Thanks @Squid for bringing this to my attention with the banner announcement. (Although, it did give me pause real quick as expressed by @alael.)

image.png.2edb65064f2f55239ccc84d6c4863053.png

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, xthursdayx said:

Cool, thanks a lot. I don't know if it would be possible, but perhaps hurricane/dockergui:xvnc could just be swapped for lsiobase/guacgui (which, as you probably remember, was updated to bionic by @hurricanehrndz  last year).

Here it is, wip. https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-boinc/tree/initial

Currently pushed to lsiodev/boinc

Tested with nvidia, it works (seti@home). I didn't have enough time to test igpu

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DZMM said:

Is there a way to way to write a script to schedule how many cores are used?  I can assign a few more cores while my kids are at school and don't need their VMs.

Thanks for offering an easy way to support the fight.

I just use the same cores reserved for my Plex and use cpu-share to ensure when Plex needs CPU power, it gets 80+%.

Just thought I would post a shot of the statistics for world-wide downloads on the official boinc container available within CA.  While the stats are only valid as of March 8th, I would expect another HUGE jump in downloads the next time CA gathers statistics (~April 8th).  Kudos to everyone.  Every little bit helps.  You can make a difference.  More work units will become available.

image.png.40cef115c430b90365634a0650805b8a.png

• Thanks 3
17 hours ago, mattekure said:

Thank you for posting this and announcing it through CA.

Joined Team Unraid, doing my part.

image.png.8623c5f0b30baa73d3bf8298a8e0b56b.png

Is it fine to run a computer on high load like this for a long time? I'm asking because I really don't know, just built my first unraid server about a month ago. For now I've set it at 50% cpu and it's running at 55-60 C.

4 minutes ago, cherrybullet said:

it's running at 55-60 C

This temps are abolute OK. Max temp for a 3900X is 95°C where it shuts off to prevent damage. In between 70 and 80 it starts to clock itself down automatically to reduce heat production if you didn't changed anything in your BIOS.

In general it's a discussion as long as CPUs exists. Did high temperatures hurt the CPU? What are to high temps? Will it degrade over time? At what rate? What's the lifetime of the silicon? Having it run at a constant temperature (inside specs) for a long time as far as I understand is better for the silicon than constantly change between low and high temps. Remember, every material more or less expands when heated up and contracts when cooled down. This cycles are what is causing the aging of the silicon up to the point, where it dies.

• Like 1

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but perhaps the instructions on installing and configuring BOINC could be clarified on the blog post?

Step one:

1. First, go install the BOINC manager client.

I'm browsing the blog from a laptop.  Clicking the link on the blog page takes me to a download page.  Great so far, but I'm on a laptop, not my Unraid server. 

Assuming this should be installed/run on my server (rather than an old laptop), can someone provide some direction?  I don't have any VMs on my server - just running dockers.

I've downloaded the BOINC docker, but the values to be populated in the configuraiton aren't clear.  Can someone provide contextual information on suggested or typical values.

Thanks - really want to help here if I can!

Brawny

5 minutes ago, brawny said:

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but perhaps the instructions on installing and configuring BOINC could be clarified on the blog post?

Step one:

1. First, go install the BOINC manager client.

I'm browsing the blog from a laptop.  Clicking the link on the blog page takes me to a download page.  Great so far, but I'm on a laptop, not my Unraid server. 

Assuming this should be installed/run on my server (rather than an old laptop), can someone provide some direction?  I don't have any VMs on my server - just running dockers.

I've downloaded the BOINC docker, but the values to be populated in the configuraiton aren't clear.  Can someone provide contextual information on suggested or typical values.

Thanks - really want to help here if I can!

Brawny

For BOINC, you're installing a manager on your laptop and the client on your server.  The instructions within the blog are basically correct, with the exception of you have to switch to advanced mode to choose the server

Hey guys, here's an updated boinc docker image: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/boinc

It's brand spanking new, based on ubuntu bionic. Contains both the boinc client and manager, so no need to install anything on another machine. It's not suitable for an in-place upgrade from my old rdp-boinc image, but setting it up from scratch takes only a minute or two.

This one works with intel and nvidia (with the nvidia plugin) gpus (as long as the project supports it).

There will be a template and a support thread soon, but until then, you can just create it with the vars from the dockerhub description.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, eagle470 said:

I'm not seeing any work units at this point on either of my systems for folding@home. BOINC causes my AMD Ryzen 9 system to crash per my last post in this thread. 

Usually, your computer will never be idle, but we’ve had such an enthusiastic response to our COVID-19 work that you will see some intermittent downtime as we sprint to setup more simulations. Please be patient with us!

https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/15/coronavirus-what-were-doing-and-how-you-can-help-in-simple-terms/