Help Take the Fight to COVID-19 with BOINC and Folding@home

1 hour ago, testdasi said:

To everyone who has performance issues / unresponsiveness / lag while BOINC docker is running:

Go to Docker template, click on "Advanced View" (upper right corner, on the same level as "Update Container") to see the advanced view and then:

• Select the cores you want BOINC to use and make sure to NOT select (a) CPU 0 + HT and (b) any core isolated to VM.
  • Add --cpu-shares=64 to the Extra Parameters box. This will ensure BOINC does not starve other dockers when running (while allowing BOINC to always run full steam when other dockers are not running).
  • Optionally add --memory=[#]G to limit the docker RAM usage to [#] gigabytes. This will prevent your other apps and VM getting killed if BOINC uses too much RAM.

Screenshot as an example - core 16-31 are selected for BOINC and memory limited to 16GB.

image.thumb.png.578df208ffa9caf59edfe79566261c0a.png

image.thumb.png.50c741e29180410adfce905b30082d28.png

My webUI still won't work :( 

Any other suggestions?

1 hour ago, testdasi said:

To everyone who has performance issues / unresponsiveness / lag while BOINC docker is running:

Go to Docker template, click on "Advanced View" (upper right corner, on the same level as "Update Container") to see the advanced view and then:

• Select the cores you want BOINC to use and make sure to NOT select (a) CPU 0 + HT and (b) any core isolated to VM.
  • Add --cpu-shares=64 to the Extra Parameters box. This will ensure BOINC does not starve other dockers when running (while allowing BOINC to always run full steam when other dockers are not running).
  • Optionally add --memory=[#]G to limit the docker RAM usage to [#] gigabytes. This will prevent your other apps and VM getting killed if BOINC uses too much RAM.

I had selected all cores except CPU 0 and its associated HT and the docker had been running for close to 6 hours (the longest ever) before I went to bed.  I woke up this morning to a locked server.  It has IPMI and I was able to reboot the server via IPMI.

I'll try setting the other parameters but this is the 3rd hard lockup in about 12 hours with the RDP-BOINC docker.  No VMs are running.  I had two Plex streams going in the evening while BOINC chugged along and I never saw memory usage get above 21% on the server pre-lockup.

Watched Spaceinvader One's YouTube video last night and this morning. I really just want my GPU to participate, however when I run the FAH docker it automatically started pegging my CPU and started a work unit on CPU instead of GPU like I had wanted. Am I missing a parameter in docker template or FAH config.xml? I edited container and pinned 4 cores, just wondering why it won't run GPU simultaneously with CPU. 

Currently waiting for first work unit to finish up (71%)  and see if GPU gets a work unit. 

Here's some screenshots:

FAHUnraid.jpg

FAHUnraidCPUCores.jpg

FAHUnraidGPUStats.jpg

36 minutes ago, SgtGaToR said:

I really just want my GPU to participate, however when I run the FAH docker it automatically started pegging my CPU and started a work unit on CPU instead of GPU like I had wanted.

You have set it to "Light". In this mode the GPU won't be utilized at all. In this mode it will pause running tasks on the GPU and will show the yellow circle like in your picture and new tasks for GPU won't be started. For using the GPU set it to "Medium"

I've never had a lockup from RDP BOINC, but it will take a lot of your CPU if you let it. Here is what I have set:

• Use at most 50 % of the CPUs
  • Use at most 50 % of CPU time
  • Suspend when non-BOINC CPU usage is above 25 %

I am sure that is conservative. I have a pretty simple setup though, only 4 cores. No VMs, 10 or so dockers, nothing pinned.

5 minutes ago, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

I'm trying but folding@home is stuck on idle for 2 days so I'm giving boinc a try.... what choice to make when i install i mean which project?

Try Rosetta@home.

It's interesting how the Fah work is handed out. My GPU slot immediate has work but my CPU slot (32 thread) took several hours to get just 1 work assigned and then idle for quite a while now.

Rosetta in contrast constantly gives me work.

Edit: right after saying the above, my CPU fah slot has new work assigned. Maybe I should complain more LOL

Edited by testdasi
54 minutes ago, trurl said:

I've never had a lockup from RDP BOINC, but it will take a lot of your CPU if you let it. Here is what I have set:

• Use at most 50 % of the CPUs
  • Use at most 50 % of CPU time
  • Suspend when non-BOINC CPU usage is above 25 %

I am sure that is conservative. I have a pretty simple setup though, only 4 cores. No VMs, 10 or so dockers, nothing pinned.

@trurl @Constructor  Does "Suspend when non-BOINC CPU usage is above 25 %" work for you?

I want Boinc to suspend, when the server starts its dayjob of Plex streaming, but I cant get it to work.

42 minutes ago, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

how is it possible to assign a team account to it or related to the unraid team.

You need to setup an account on Rosetta@home then login to the account and search for the Unraid team in the Community section.  From the search results you can join the team.

image.png.615f4fafadee5e2fd434e53ec1fce3c0.png

Edited by Hoopster
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, aptalca said:

There will be a template and a support thread soon, but until then, you can just create it with the vars from the dockerhub description.

Any word on the template?  (Or is it in a different repository than all the other containers?)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, PeteAsking said:

I have setup rdp-boinc also. Is the only way to access it via a web interface / guacamole or can I rdp somehow to that port it is running on via an rdp client?

The standard RDP port is 3389.  If you setup that port in the docker you should be able to use another RDP client for access.

Just now, Hoopster said:

The standard RDP port is 3389.  If you setup that port in the docker you should be able to use another RDP client for access.

Hmm well it said 8080 as default and the spaceinvader video he changed it to 8097 which I also changed it to but if I connect rdp to 8097 then nothing happens?

4 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

I have setup rdp-boinc also. Is the only way to access it via a web interface / guacamole or can I rdp somehow to that port it is running on via an rdp client?

In the docker template, click "Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device" then Container port = 3389, host port = 33890 (or whatever port you want to use RDP to access)

Then in RDP just type [IP of your server]:33890

• Like 1