Help Take the Fight to COVID-19 with BOINC and Folding@home

2 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

Hmm well it said 8080 as default and the spaceinvader video he changed it to 8097 which I also changed it to but if I connect rdp to 8097 then nothing happens?

The 8080 port is for the web interface, not the RDP port. See my reply above if you want to connect directly via RDP.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, parsec said:

Does "Suspend when non-BOINC CPU usage is above 25 %" work for you?

I want Boinc to suspend, when the server starts its dayjob of Plex streaming, but I cant get it to work.

You have to manually suspend if that settings doesn't work. Alternatively, see my post below for the docker settings that would allow Plex to run at the same time as BOINC without being starved by BOINC.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Can you be more specific? What is the behavior or other evidence that it isn't working?

@trurl np :)

Set "suspend when non-boinc cpu usage is above 30%"

Start a few Plex streams to make sure that the load close to max.

Observe if Boinc suspends its calculations.

In my case it do not. Hence the question if it works for you?

5 minutes ago, parsec said:

@trurl np :)

Set "suspend when non-boinc cpu usage is above 30%"

Start a few Plex streams to make sure that the load close to max.

Observe if Boinc suspends its calculations.

In my case it do not. Hence the question if it works for you?

I can see now what you mean. Never noticed since it never caused any lag for me.

@Hoopster, @testdasi.

Thank you, something has improved somewhat since when I now try to connect with remmina on 33890 it (appears to) makes a connection but then immediately loses connection and reconnecting 1/20 is shown. The screen is always black and never loads anything. Is there some setting I have overlooked? It seems like something is almost there but maybe I am not 100% clear?

2 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

Thank you, something has improved somewhat since when I now try to connect with remmina on 33890 it (appears to) makes a connection but then immediately loses connection and reconnecting 1/20 is shown. The screen is always black and never loads anything. Is there some setting I have overlooked? It seems like something is almost there but maybe I am not 100% clear?

Perhaps it's a remmina settings issue. It works using default settings on Windows RDP.

16 minutes ago, parsec said:

No worries :), and thanks for checking.

Probably makes more sense to let docker handle it like @testdasi explained. Not sure BOINC will really know all it needs to know about the rest of the system when it is running in the virtual environment of a container. I have run BOINC for many years on many systems and my settings from my "project" account probably work best when running it on a PC.

7 hours ago, testdasi said:

To everyone who has performance issues / unresponsiveness / lag while BOINC docker is running:

Go to Docker template, click on "Advanced View" (upper right corner, on the same level as "Update Container") to see the advanced view and then:

• Select the cores you want BOINC to use and make sure to NOT select (a) CPU 0 + HT and (b) any core isolated to VM.
  • Add --cpu-shares=64 to the Extra Parameters box. This will ensure BOINC does not starve other dockers when running (while allowing BOINC to always run full steam when other dockers are not running).
  • Optionally add --memory=[#]G to limit the docker RAM usage to [#] gigabytes. This will prevent your other apps and VM getting killed if BOINC uses too much RAM.

It's a no-go for me.  Did all of the above and RDP-Boinc still locked up the server after 3.5 hours.  Had to hard reset again via IPMI.  I guess I'll give @aptalca's new manual setup container a try.

I lowered CPUs to 75% (with CPU 1/8 eliminated via docker pinning) and CPU time to 50%.  Still locked up.

Edited by Hoopster
12 hours ago, Squid said:

Any word on the template?  (Or is it in a different repository than all the other containers?)

Our resident template maker is currently busy saving lives (literally, at the hospital) so no template yet. I'll see if I can put something together in the morning

On 3/13/2020 at 9:13 PM, SpencerJ said:

Use extra Unraid CPU or GPU computing power to help take the fight to COVID-19 with BOINC or Folding@Home!

https://unraid.net/blog/help-take-the-fight-to-covid-19-with-boinc-or-folding-home

Stay safe everyone. 

-Spencer

Thanks for posting this; had no idea it existed.

Added 32 cores and 3 GPU's.

I just got home (work in the ED) and I can say without a doubt that folks are getting a little too worked up here in the U.S. and the worst is yet to come!

Please, please, please, if you asymptomatic, DO NOT go to the ED's!

We need the beds for acute emergencies.

Use telemedicine services, even if it is only a phone call.

The trained triage ear of a healthcare provider can tell a lot about a person form just listening to them.

Wash your hands!!!! Try not to touch your face!!! Cough/sneeze into your elbow (think the Dracula pose). Oh, and wash your hands!!!!!! 😉

I'm beat... g'night everyone.

Thanks again for the idea here @SpencerJ!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Hoopster said:

I lowered CPUs to 75% (with CPU 1/8 eliminated via docker pinning) and CPU time to 50%.  Still locked up.

That sounds to be like an innate instability somewhere in the system. BOINC and f@h put unusually high load on the hardware so any instability is more likely to manifest itself.

For example, I can reliably put my server in a hard lockup by turning on Precision Boost + run BOINC / f@h / weirdly a very specific Adobe Lightroom job that barely loads up the CPU at all. I know it's due to an AMD tweak in PB on the newer BIOS to reduce voltage to reduce temp. Going back to an old BIOS and it just runs really hot but no more lockup.

That's just an example though (obviously doesn't apply to your Intel system but it gives an idea).

I'm guessing either heat related or voltage / current related.

2 minutes ago, jeffreywhunter said:

Hey Guys, tried to join the unraid team, but when I search for, find the unraid community and click on the link (as SpaceInvader One shows), there is NO "Join this Team" option on the page (see screenshot).

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12412/20200318-sahl-331kb

Love to join the effort...just need to get past config!

Did you create a user account there? Your screenshots suggest that SpaceInvaderOne is logged in to the website, but you are not.

2 hours ago, testdasi said:

That sounds to be like an innate instability somewhere in the system.

That's what I am beginning to think as well.  I have had the system under high load (even higher than with BOINC), but, not for as long as with BOINC.  I have had all cores pushed to 90-94% by HandBrake but the transcodes are done in less than an hour.

Temps appeared to be good.  With HandBrake and BOINC I never saw them go above 80C even after a long sustained load, but, perhaps the longer it goes the more unstable something gets.  There is no overclocking or overvolting that I have done.  This is a new system, less than a month old.  Obviously, there is something I need to dig into a bit more.

8 hours ago, TechMed said:

Thanks for posting this; had no idea it existed.

Added 32 cores and 3 GPU's.

I just got home (work in the ED) and I can say without a doubt that folks are getting a little too worked up here in the U.S. and the worst is yet to come!

Please, please, please, if you asymptomatic, DO NOT go to the ED's!

We need the beds for acute emergencies.

Use telemedicine services, even if it is only a phone call.

The trained triage ear of a healthcare provider can tell a lot about a person form just listening to them.

Wash your hands!!!! Try not to touch your face!!! Cough/sneeze into your elbow (think the Dracula pose). Oh, and wash your hands!!!!!! 😉

I'm beat... g'night everyone.

Thanks again for the idea here @SpencerJ!

Thank you @TechMed for your work on the frontlines. Please stay safe!