Help Take the Fight to COVID-19 with BOINC and Folding@home

On 3/21/2020 at 8:41 AM, Squid said:

In summary - go to Docker

Edit the Boinc Container

Switch to Advanced View of Update Container

in the "Extra Parameters Field" Add the string, "--cpu-shares=2"
When this is saved and the Docker Restarted, the Boinc container will maximize usage of the CPU when no other Docker "Plex etc" have CPU requirements.

Do I have that correct?  

(I have a GTX1650 Super) so my CPU needs are probably very minimal anyway :) )

5 minutes ago, BeerEngineer said:

In summary - go to Docker

Edit the Boinc Container

Switch to Advanced View of Update Container

in the "Extra Parameters Field" Add the string, "--cpu-shares=2"
When this is saved and the Docker Restarted, the Boinc container will maximize usage of the CPU when no other Docker "Plex etc" have CPU requirements.

Do I have that correct?  

(I have a GTX1650 Super) so my CPU needs are probably very minimal anyway :) )

yup, you can also select which core it may use ;)

also don't forget to put '--runtime=nvidia' in it, or it wont use the GPU

Edited by sjaak
28 minutes ago, SpencerJ said:

Wowsers. 🤯

That means the Folding@Home network is also now faster than the world's top seven supercomputers, combined.

...you don't need that type of horsepower to make a meaningful contribution – every single bit helps. It's entirely possible that some old-school Pentium somewhere will calculate the bits that serve as the final piece to solving this deadly puzzle

👍

13 minutes ago, SpencerJ said:

BOINC team coming in at #2 in the world!!! 

https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/top_teams.php

We must have some serious combined horsepower with our unRAID servers contributing to the effort.  The unRAID team, despite the many who have joined, has thousands fewer members than other teams in close proximity.

It's time to fire up another server with some spare parts.  I feel guilty only throwing 15 cores at the effort.  If I throw the spare parts together, I can add another 8 for at least 30 days on a trial license.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, fireflower said:

Thanks, I will run a few WU's gpu only and see am I getting 'rewarded' or something odd happening at my or f@h end.

I have done testing, finished another 5 WU:s, only 1 seems to have been accepted, uploading fails "connection refused / no connection / expected 512 bytes, got 0" etc. 

It is just not downloads that is overwhelmed at foldingathome, even uploads can fail and for some reason uploads clear from queue without succeeding. At least for GPU WU's, dunno what is the problem.

20 minutes ago, cbr600ds2 said:

What happened to the RDP Boinc docker?   did it get Folded into the linuxserver docker?  (see what I did there?) 

Yeah, it's deprecated in favour of the lsio boinc app.  It does still work however, just its an older version of boinc within it

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Squid said:

Good idea.  I just remembered that I had a 10 year old laptop kicking around collecting dust and just spun it up.  

Just caught onto this today (Thx @SpaceInvaderOne !), saw we're "only" #2, which just won't do --- Just "remembered" I have a Threadripper 2950x new in box - was going to sell the old dual Xeon E5 V2s and upgrade, but now going to bring this out & join the fray with the I9-9900 Hackintosh [AMD 580] and Ryzen 3700x.  The threadripper will have to go "benchtop bare" for now, but that's OK.    Should probably just use the office for a sauna now 🥵.   Think the UPS is sweating a tad....  

I am regional medical director for a company that does home medical visits on the sickest of the (US Medicare) population, IE top tier risk for COVID, avg. patient age 80+.  We have offices in all the top affected cities in US so far.   We're working nonstop to try to keep our patients safe at home.   We've had to retreat temporarily to mostly telephonic visits due to shortage of PPE (protective gear) til our supply improves so we don't spread it to them - very frustrating.   Now I can feel better about being stuck at home, still helping on the compute side as well til we get to get back safely in their homes. 

I wanted to thank everyone here for being so eager to take part / take action and with such impressive results.   It means alot in the medical world to see folks being resourceful and doing their part.   Please stay home, stay safe, and round up some more CPU's for this !

Edited by jsdoc
  • Thanks 10
45 minutes ago, jsdoc said:

Just caught onto this today (Thx @SpaceInvaderOne !), saw we're "only" #2, which just won't do --- Just "remembered" I have a Threadripper 2950x new in box - was going to sell the old dual Xeon E5 V2s and upgrade, but now going to bring this out & join the fray with the I9-9900 Hackintosh [AMD 580] and Ryzen 3700x.  The threadripper will have to go "benchtop bare" for now, but that's OK.    Should probably just use the office for a sauna now 🥵.   Think the UPS is sweating a tad....  

I am regional medical director for a company that does home medical visits on the sickest of the (US Medicare) population, IE top tier risk for COVID, avg. patient age 80+.  We have offices in all the top affected cities in US so far.   We're working nonstop to try to keep our patients safe at home.   We've had to retreat temporarily to mostly telephonic visits due to shortage of PPE (protective gear) til our supply improves so we don't spread it to them - very frustrating.   Now I can feel better about being stuck at home, still helping on the compute side as well til we get to get back safely in their homes. 

I wanted to thank everyone here for being so eager to take part / take action and with such impressive results.   It means alot in the medical world to see folks being resourceful and doing their part.   Please stay home, stay safe, and round up some more CPU's for this !

Thank you for the work you do on the front lines

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Hoopster said:

We must have some serious combined horsepower with our unRAID servers contributing to the effort.  The unRAID team, despite the many who have joined, has thousands fewer members than other teams in close proximity.

It's time to fire up another server with some spare parts.  I feel guilty only throwing 15 cores at the effort.  If I throw the spare parts together, I can add another 8 for at least 30 days on a trial license.

Over the last few days, I've put 3 PCs together for Rosetta@home CPU work, using old parts I'd kept from upgrading systems for family members over the years.  They're all working surprisingly well, which I hoped for but you never know what to expect with old parts.

Now that our Unraid server has become as important a household item as Wi-Fi, I'd been wanting to setup a proper HomeLab for myself to test stuff on.  For these 3 PCs, I've gone with using XCP-ng (Xen Hypervisor) on each and Xen Orchestra for central management, plus a mix of Windows / Linux VMs to see how BOINC performs in each. 

Haven't quite decided if I'll just put a minimal Debian distro like DietPi on each, with a BOINC Docker container and manage it all in a few browser tabs.

In any case, it's nice to be able to put all this old stuff to good use, plus have a new HomeLab to play with.