Help Take the Fight to COVID-19 with BOINC and Folding@home

35 minutes ago, hernandito said:

Did we find a COVID-19 cure yet??

There is unlikely to be a cure. COVID-19 is caused by a virus so focus would be on vaccine and treatment (to alleviate symptoms).

And then we have the side burden of dealing with anti-vaxxers and idiots but the no amount of Rosetta@home can help with that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, eagle470 said:

Any thoughts on why BOINC would be crashing my server? 

It crashed mine as well.

After ~2 hours running RDP-BOINC on my server (just installed today on main server), the GUI, SSH, Telnet, etc. all became unavailable.  I think BIONC was still doing its thing as the server was still running and I could hear the CPU fan running on high.  However, it was completely inaccessible and I had to hard reboot the server and cancel the resulting parity check.

Edited by Hoopster
1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

It crashed mine as well.

After ~2 hours running RDP-BOINC on my server (just installed today on main server), the GUI, SSH, Telnet, etc. all became unavailable.  I think BIONC was still doing its thing as the server was still running and I could hear the CPU fan running on high.  However, it was completely inaccessible and I had to hard reboot the server and cancel the resulting parity check.

Either don't set it to 100%, or make it run on all cores except for the 0. Unraid has a tendency to be unresponsive when other tasks push all cores to 100%

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, aptalca said:

Either don't set it to 100%, or make it run on all cores except for the 0. Unraid has a tendency to be unresponsive when other tasks push all cores to 100%

I had it set to 75% but all CPUs.  Perhaps it pegged core 0 with too much for too long.  I'm looking forward to trying your latest release with iGPU support; haven't got around to that yet.

22 minutes ago, aptalca said:

I agree with Hoopster, mine was pegged out even though I had the usage level set to 70%. perhaps the load leveling doesn't work well, especially with other processes (Plex, SABnzbd, PiHole, etc.) Though the other BOINC container works fine and I'm able to manage the alternative choice from a different server using your the RDP-BOINC container..

7 hours ago, cherrybullet said:

Is it fine to run a computer on high load like this for a long time? I'm asking because I really don't know, just built my first unraid server about a month ago. For now I've set it at 50% cpu and it's running at 55-60 C.

yes.  Mine are running around 50-55C with no issues.  As others have stated, thats nowhere close to the maximum for that processor.  

As you can see in my pic, I did use CPU pinning to leave 1 cpu (2 threads) open for Unraid and other processes.

5 hours ago, aptalca said:

Hey guys, here's an updated boinc docker image: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/boinc

It's brand spanking new, based on ubuntu bionic. Contains both the boinc client and manager, so no need to install anything on another machine. It's not suitable for an in-place upgrade from my old rdp-boinc image, but setting it up from scratch takes only a minute or two.

This one works with intel and nvidia (with the nvidia plugin) gpus (as long as the project supports it).

There will be a template and a support thread soon, but until then, you can just create it with the vars from the dockerhub description.

Thanks for this @aptalca, excellent work!

Edited by xthursdayx
4 hours ago, aptalca said:

I set CPU pinning in the docker to all CPUs (1-15) except 0.  I lowered the CPU load to 50%.  It hung this time after running less than an hour.  I'll free up 0 and 8 and see if it makes a difference.

EDIT: There is nothing much in the syslog between the two reboots.  I do have the log server enabled writing to the cache drive.

UPDATE: After selected all CPUs except 0 and 8, BOINC has been running for 2.5 hours without issue.  Hopefully, that has resolved it.

I am still going to try the updated version.

Edited by Hoopster
8 hours ago, cherrybullet said:

Is it fine to run a computer on high load like this for a long time? I'm asking because I really don't know, just built my first unraid server about a month ago. For now I've set it at 50% cpu and it's running at 55-60 C.

I have mining since Dec 2017, CPU & GPUs at 100% 24/7.  Today the miner is not running the GPUs because it is not profitable.

9 minutes ago, johndimo said:

Got a VM running with half my CPU pinned to it along with a GTX1060 and also my gaming PC with all cores and a GTX1070. Hope it helps the cause. My 2 GPUs are working overdrive for the foreseeable future and both computers are pumping out major heat.

My tower now serves as a space heater for my home office 😁

• Haha 1

After starting up BOINC I'm having issues reconnecting to it.  I did a fresh docker install today and i'm using BOINC Manager on Windows.  I was able to do the initial setup just fine, but now that I have tasks running it's impossible to connect to the docker.  And there's no way to stop the tasks without connecting through the Manager.

This is all I get when I try to connect.

image.png.def11e8125e3c577fc6f03b6e8497bf5.png

6 hours ago, eagle470 said:

I agree with Hoopster, mine was pegged out even though I had the usage level set to 70%. perhaps the load leveling doesn't work well, especially with other processes (Plex, SABnzbd, PiHole, etc.) Though the other BOINC container works fine and I'm able to manage the alternative choice from a different server using your the RDP-BOINC container..

Load leveling does not determine the amount of CPU usage, but rather instruction frequency.

The two percentages adjust load cycle (70% = 2.8s work, 1.2s rest wash rinse repeat), and core allocation (70% = 7 of 10 threads utilized).  At least from how I understood the manager instructions

4 hours ago, ksculland said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but still have same issue.
Did I do it correctly?

To everyone who has performance issues / unresponsiveness / lag while BOINC docker is running:

Go to Docker template, click on "Advanced View" (upper right corner, on the same level as "Update Container") to see the advanced view and then:

• Select the cores you want BOINC to use and make sure to NOT select (a) CPU 0 + HT and (b) any core isolated to VM.
  • Add --cpu-shares=64 to the Extra Parameters box. This will ensure BOINC does not starve other dockers when running (while allowing BOINC to always run full steam when other dockers are not running).
  • Optionally add --memory=[#]G to limit the docker RAM usage to [#] gigabytes. This will prevent your other apps and VM getting killed if BOINC uses too much RAM.

Screenshot as an example - core 16-31 are selected for BOINC and memory limited to 16GB.

image.thumb.png.578df208ffa9caf59edfe79566261c0a.png

• Like 2