(solved) Tower is not accessible

Start here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/

This is a thread that was started some years ago and has been the recipient of the things that folks have found that work.  I would suggest going through the first page of two and then jump to the end and work backwards. (Don't post in that thread while you are looking for a solution.  Use this thread instead.)

It also sounds like you may have a credentials issues.  Type     Credential Manager       in the search Window on the Taskbar and  delete any Windows credentials that you find there.

Another thing, Window 10 x64  is not a description of what version (1803, 1809, 1903, 1909) and favor (Home, Pro, Enterprise, etc.) of Windows 10 that you are running.  Type    winver    to get that information as each version of Windows 10 has different behavior!

4 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Start here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/

This is a thread that was started some years ago and has been the recipient of the things that folks have found that work.  I would suggest going through the first page of two and then jump to the end and work backwards. 

It also sounds like you may have a credentials issues.  Type     Credential Manager       in the search Window on the Taskbar and  delete any Windows credentials that you find there.

From the topic, I tried the following:

If windows credentials seem to get tangled up what works for me is:

1. make sure all applications and explorer windows that can possibly be referencing a server share are closed.

2. open command window and type

net use * /delete

3. open services.msc and restart the "workstation" service.

Now when you connect to a private share it just works, no login credentials are prompted because the windows user credentials already match those on the server.

When I tried to open TOWER in the file explorer. the  window shown in credentials1.png opened.

After entering my PIN, the message in credentials2.png opened.

\\TOWER is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

We can't sign you in with this crediential because your domain isn't available. Make sure your device is connected to your organiziation's network and try again. If you preveiously signed in on this device with another credential, you can sign in with that credential.

Then i tried to "use a different account". I used "loren", which is an unraid user. For the password, I used the unraid password.

The result was the message shown in credential3.png.

A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated.

credentials1.png

credentials2.png

credentials3.png

3 hours ago, OriginalFlavor said:

Then i tried to "use a different account". I used "loren", which is an unraid user. For the password, I used the unraid password.

I am assuming that you used the password assigned to user 'loren'-- not the password for root. 

Correct me if I am wrong at any of the following points. 

(1) You have exported one or more 'Shares' using SMB. 

(2) If you have shares set to 'Public', have you done this:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/page/7/?tab=comments#comment-828211

(3) All of your shares on \\TOWER have the 'SMB Security settings'  set to 'Private'. 

(4) This is not a company issued computer.

(5) The user 'loren' if used for any other account has the same password on the other account. 

I am assuming that you used the password assigned to user 'loren'-- not the password for root. 

I used the password for unraid user 'loren', not the password for root.

(1) You have exported one or more 'Shares' using SMB. 

I exported 8 shares using SMB.

The settings did not need to be changed.

(3) All of your shares on \\TOWER have the 'SMB Security settings'  set to 'Private'. 

Not all of the shares had their SMB Security settings set to Private.

I changed all of the SMB Security settings to Private.

Same result after changing all to Private.

(4) This is not a company issued computer.

Incorrect. This is a company computer. It is my company. 

(5) The user 'loren' if used for any other account has the same password on the other account. 

There was no windows account named 'loren'.

I created a local windows login 'loren' with the same password as the unraid user 'loren'

I tried to open a share and, used the new windows 'loren' and the login represents itself with the message "A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated."

I tried to map a network drive for a share and received the following:

image.png.de683e4d21014db28cfda0c62d9e561c.png

Edited by OriginalFlavor
added screen shot when mapping share
10 hours ago, OriginalFlavor said:

I tried to map a network drive for a share and received the following:

image.png.de683e4d21014db28cfda0c62d9e561c.png

Edited 10 hours ago by OriginalFlavor

This is a company computer.  You own the company.  Don't you have an IT person?   As I look at this error  message, I suspect that you are using Active Directory and your computer is looking to connect to the Domain Server to check to see if the credential is valid.  When this can not be verified, it not going to give you access to anything.

It is not unusual for companies to lock-down company issued computers to prevent them from being exposed to 'contamination' when using outside networks.  Both from the standpoint of blocking access to external servers and access to the client computer. 

By the way, Unraid as a server can not be a Domain Controller/Master for Active Directory but it can join a Domain (as I understand it).

Hi there,

I had the same problem and the solution is quite simple (but it took me some time to figure that out, too):

Map the share by using a different username/password but when choosing the username do it like that:

UnraidServerName\unraidUserName

so in your case:

tower\loren

I hope this helps.

Regards,

asah

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, asah said:

Hi there,

I had the same problem and the solution is quite simple (but it took me some time to figure that out, too):

Map the share by using a different username/password but when choosing the username do it like that:

so in your case:

tower\loren

I hope this helps.

Regards,

asah

This is the correct answer for a domain joined computer.  Otherwise Windows will automatically assume you are trying to use a Windows domain user and try to authenticate to the domain controller.  

Example.  Login with user Administrator will login to domain Administrator.  To login to Administrator on local computer you have to type .\Administrator for user name.

14 hours ago, asah said:

Hi there,

so in your case:

tower\loren

I hope this helps.

Regards,

asah

That worked.  Many thanks.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Hi Team....

I have a similar issue. For ages, everything on my network was \\TOWER... Windows shortcuts, Windows mappings, Libreelec Kodi shares on several devices, custom bash scripts, etc).

Nothing is now resolving to TOWER... It will be a chore to go back to get everthing working by changing to the server ip. There is stuff that was made years ago, which I forgot, that will require adjustments.

Is there a way to simply get \\TOWER back?

I have this in "Fix Common Problems"

image.png.e3daab017c48666f1969fbc50d6d23ef.png

This in Management Access:

image.thumb.png.81ab24a91c0f905747a57d88747e16dc.png

Is there something I can change on my router (192.168.0.1)?

Thanks,

H.

Edited by hernandito