Help with extremely slow parity check

Hi All, 

I am having a recent issue where I noticed that my server had started a parity check, but when I took a look at the values it was doing it at an extremely slow speed, saying it would take days to finish.

As per the attached screenshots, it was fine a little over a week ago with the last completed parity check.

Can anyone help me diagnose this and what I would need to provide?

I am also now scared that I may not have setup proper notifications and while s.m.a.r.t. says "healthy" for most my disks, that the counters are not good (something I'm not good at interpreting) but I will create another post for that issue.

P.S.: note that the jump from about ~50MB/s to ~150MB/s corresponds to when I upgraded my server from an old Celeron w/2GB RAM to a newer i3 9300 w/16GB system.

Parity Check 1.PNG

Parity Check 2.PNG

Edited by walterg74
extra info about system upgrade

Hi All,

While I was looking into a slow speed in parity check I am having, I got alarmed reading something about s.m.a.r.t. counter values and what I see for the values of my disks.

Up to now, the most I had seen on the main s.m.a.r.t. screen was an occasional CRC error info, which I read would be normal and no big deal.

What I got from the threads I have seen however is that things like the "Raw read error rate" for example need to be zero, and having values here mean the disk may fail...

Now, I don't really know much about this, (is there a good explanation/tutorial anywhere?), but the attached is what it is showing for my disks. Would appreciate if any knowledgeable folks can take a look and tell me if in fact I am in dire need of replacing some of these... ☹️

Disks_1_Overview.thumb.PNG.93d69026b4e6e08355689a28f8332b47.PNG

Parity

Disks_2_Parity.thumb.PNG.57d58c9ed03af2dd9a3e76bd387a7bd4.PNG

Disk1

Disks_3_Disk1.thumb.PNG.4352ef8050471ea863eecb778f53db6c.PNG

Disk2

Disks_4_Disk2.thumb.PNG.6f80d47b762d06a5c05ad022e9200281.PNG

Disk3

Disks_5_Disk3.thumb.PNG.9b22270422e96288a5a71eb10bbb09e5.PNG

Disk4

Disks_6_Disk4.thumb.PNG.0395758163631292f1086f5bf28d4961.PNG

Disk5

Disks_7_Disk5.thumb.PNG.007ea201c65791acca75652fac793cd8.PNG

Disk Info

Disks_8_Disk_Info.PNG.da85a34d35f3f7677caaaeb9751ae920.PNG

Thanks!

Edited by walterg74
2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I know that for Seagate that is a bit dependent field so cannot be easily interpreted.    Not sure about Toshiba drives.    It is Western Digital drives where the raw value is normally of concern when none-Zero.

Ah ok got it.

In any case,  at least from the screenshots without analyzing the values themselves it would seem to be pointing out that at minimum Disk 4 needs replacing ASAP, and I wrong?

16 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You are correct - disk4 is looking a bit sick with that many reallocated and pending sectors.

Ok, luckily I have an extra disk on-hand I had purchased for expansion.

What is the best way to proceed in this case? Hook the new disk up to an extra port (I need to add an expansion card, which I had also purchased, to have more sata ports as the motherboard's are full), pre-clear and replace Disk 4 with this new one? Or can I just disconnect Disk 4 and connect the new one in the same slot? (and then pre-clear and add/replace)

Edited by walterg74
11 minutes ago, trurl said:

I have merged your threads. Please don't start multiple threads for the same issue. It makes it impossible for us to coordinate our responses.

Hi trurl, no problem and noted, but how would I know if it's the same issue? At leas for now and my noobiness they are two different items?

All the information you put in those screenshots could have been better given to us with just the Diagnostics. Probably would have made it more obvious what was going on and there wouldn't have been 2 threads.

You should assume that if you need help, we need your diagnostics.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

All the information you put in those screenshots could have been better given to us with just the Diagnostics. Probably would have made it more obvious what was going on and there wouldn't have been 2 threads.

You should assume that if you need help, we need your diagnostics.

Got it. Diagnostics have been uploaded.

Thanks.