UNRaid Questions and possible Features?

Matthew_K

I am new to UNRaid, and I looking for some answers about how best to configure a system.

Right now I am running EXSI 6.7 and have 1TB of /OS/VMSpace and then 4x6TB Drives all mapped as raw disks to a Window Server 2016 VM. Obviously this is not the best setup but it is what I kinda grew into overtime.

Based upon what I have read UNRaid acts as a JBOB with each disk being a standard XFS or BTRFS partition and then a parity drive that acts as redundancy for the disk. Because the way that UNRaid calculates the parity data this allows for full redundancy across mismatched drives as long as the parity drive is same size or large.

Enter KVM…

As much as each file system tries to be everything to everyone it always comes down to using the right file system for the correct application. A good case would be with VM, BTRFS kinds sucks because of the overhead, but BTRFS is more feature rich then say XFS or EXT4.

It seems that UNRiad is all or nothing for the array? Is it in the plans to allow for mixed file systems for the best possible performance for any give operation? I thought other a quick diagrams with the knowledge I have on how this might work. Is

this what was meant in the last poll for t 2020 for multi array support?

Partitioned Disk

MultiPartiton.png.5460d79219c2ae95ea99dbef61136eda.png

Dedicated Disk

MultiPartiton2.png.b3a7ebb587f0cccdd88072bbc52332e6.png

Finally as someone who had to deal with KVM snapshots in the past, when this feature is added, please, please make sure that each snapshot delta is stored as separate file. This fixes so many issues and on top of that because the base OS in VM tends to be the largest part of a VM, it should make, creating a parity of the base VM easier because you only really need to do it once. however, this is form a person that tends to work off of deltas and merge the delta back into the head every once in a while and create a new working delta. I don’t think a lot of people know just how powerful this trick really is.

Thank you for humoring me.

2 minutes ago, Matthew_K said:

It seems that UNRiad is all or nothing for the array? Is it in the plans to allow for mixed file systems for the best possible performance for any give operation?

You can already (and always have been able to) mix file system types within the array.  BTRFS / XFS  encrypted or not on a per disk basis.