New HDD installed/detected but unraid is still same size?

Hello, I installed a new hard drive to my unraid as a data drive (not as another parity). It detected in system and mounted. But yet when I check my total space on the shares it is still 23.6tb (should be roughly 31tb with new 8tb drive added). I checked that my share's "include all disks" but it only lists the original 7 data disks (8 including my orig 8tb parity drive), not the new 9th 8tb drive.. suggestions?  (it has completed parity syncs/ data rebuild, but seems I am doing it again because I tried doing a "new config")

Seems like both my cache (just a flash drive) and my new hard drive are detected but not used.. 

snap shot.JPG

system log.zip

Edited by bobbyb987

Was this a new disk in a new slot? Why would you format anything new as ReiserFS?

I wouldn't even consider using that flash drive as cache. Not only will it be unreliable, but it is too small to bother with.

Where exactly are you looking that makes you think the shares don't have enough space? The screenshot you gave doesn't have anything to do with your shares, and the total storage displayed there is the correct sum of all data disks in the array.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your NEXT post.

I do not think that User Shares include a disk in the size they display until there is at least one file belonging to the share on the disk in question.

BTW:  I notice that all your drives are in ReiserFS format.   This format is now deprecated (albeit it is still supported).    Since this new drive appears to be empty at the moment why not take the opportunity to format it to X`fS (the current default for array drives).    It is perfectly acceptable to have a mix of file system formats in the array.

• Thanks 1

Thanks I honestly had no idea what file system to put as, it originally was xfs. But put as reiserfs because I thought they weren't compatible together? 

The new disk was put in a new slot, this is my first time installing a disk like this. Typically would just remove an old (current) smaller data drive and replace with larger. This time I wanted to add rather than replace. Will upload full diag zip asap! 

Thanks for bearing with me, clearly I barely know the basics 😑

1 hour ago, bobbyb987 said:

Thanks I honestly had no idea what file system to put as, it originally was xfs. But put as reiserfs because I thought they weren't compatible together? 

Just be aware that if you change the filesystem on any disk, it will be formatted, so don't do that without moving the data off first.

Since you didn't answer this:

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Where exactly are you looking that makes you think the shares don't have enough space?

I think the most likely explanation is this:

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

I do not think that User Shares include a disk in the size they display until there is at least one file belonging to the share on the disk in question.

Im aware that making it XFS will reformat the drive. So once it's formatted as XFS and mount it again it will show up when I put new files on my shares? 

Not sure I follow entirely. I wasn't fully out of space on the existing drives, I just wanted to add a new drive so I wouldn't have so much data on all the other drives. 

share01.JPG

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

Go to:

Settings -> Global Share settings -> Included disks

And unselect all disks, or also select disk8, but first option recommended.

Yes, that is it exactly. Currently you don't allow disk 8 for any user shares.

Best to not select any disks so it will allow all.