(SOLVED) Docker update not updating

I constantly have problems with docker updates.   MariaDB is the biggest one, each time there is an update, i have to remove the container and re-add it back in order for it to update properly, otherwise it never updates, it looks like it will update, but just goes back to the same container.  Anyone else have this problem?   It occurs on multiple dockers, mariadb, binhex-jackett, binhex-delugevpn, and others.

I keep seeing this error in the diagnostics "level=error msg="Not continuing with pull after error: context canceled""

I've recreated the docker.img twice thus far and still see this type of problem whenever there are new updates.

Anyone have any clues?

2020-03-16.png

tower-diagnostics-20200316-2118.zip

Edited by coolasice1999

It does look like a lack of space issue.

Whenever a container is updated, the old container is stopped, then the new container is downloaded and created (which requires extra space) and then the old container is deleted when the new container is successfully built.

Try to make a larger docker image and see what happens.

5 hours ago, bonienl said:

It does look like a lack of space issue.

Whenever a container is updated, the old container is stopped, then the new container is downloaded and created (which requires extra space) and then the old container is deleted when the new container is successfully built.

Try to make a larger docker image and see what happens.

So how big should my docker image be? it's more than double my docker total size.  My total image size is 12 gb and I'm only using 42% of it.  I know mariadb isn't 7 GB large....

Edited by coolasice1999
9 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Making a bigger docker image is as simple as to stop the Docker service, update the image size to a larger value and start the docker service again.

Be sure to use the Previous Apps feature on the Apps page so it will reinstall your dockers just as they were without having to set them up again.

49 minutes ago, bonienl said:

The default size is 20GB, you can try that.

Making a bigger docker image is as simple as to stop the Docker service, update the image size to a larger value and start the docker service again.

Not sure why I would need 15 gigs of free space to update a 600 Mb container?  It used to work just fine with an 8 gigabyte image under 6.7.2

Edited by coolasice1999
5 minutes ago, bonienl said:

And it still works under Unraid 6.8.x, only you have some specific issue, which we try to identify.

I just cant see how extending my free space from 7gb to 15gb would be any help for a <600mb container.  Could having my img on an unassigned device have anything to do with it?

• 1 month later...

So i went ahead and expanded my docker image size to 20gb...  and once again, it still doesn't update.  the only docker that does not give me problems is duckdns...  it updates just fine, all others, binhex-jackett, mariadb, bazarr... none update properly, they look like they are updating, but never properly update.  Annoyed to have to delete the docker every time to update it..   could having my docker.img on an unassigned ssd cause the problem?

Edited by coolasice1999

Think i got it sorted...  went ahead and recreated a new docker.img on the cache instead of an unassigned device, made it only 12gb and it seems to be working fine and updating as needed.  Found out my hba doesn't support trim on ssds which was where the unassigned device was connected.   Not sure if that had something to do with it.