Migrating Synology to Unraid

Currently have a Synology with 4x8tb drives running SHR1. Currently have about 15tb used.

I have bought two new 14tb drives to put into my upcoming unraid build.

Here's what I was planning to do:

1. Install the two new 14tb drives without parity at first to have enough drive space for data from the synology
  2. Copy files from synology to unraid server
  3. Shut down synology and remove the 4x8tb hard drives
  4. Put the 4x8tb into unraid server and format
  5. Make one of the 14tb drives a parity drive

Is this possible or is there a better way? Thanks!

That makes sense! If I'm to understand this correctly, the 14tb drives are just treated as seperate drives until I set up a parity drive correct?

I don't have anything that's really irreplaceable but it would be a hassle to have to reacquire them.

1 hour ago, qmatic said:

If I'm to understand this correctly, the 14tb drives are just treated as seperate drives until I set up a parity drive correct?

Technically they're JBOD, even with parity as there is no striping. For example if you have a 5 disk array with single parity and lose 3 out of 5 disks the single good data disk is completely intact and readable. The good disk can easily be removed and plugged into another device with the contents fully intact. Now depending on how you set your shares to split, you may have some incomplete seasons. I think most recommend to set the split so that entire seasons stay on the same disk. That way you may lose some seasons but the ones you have will be complete but I digress, yeah, it's pretty much JBOD + parity.

42 minutes ago, Dissones4U said:

Technically they're JBOD, even with parity as there is no striping. For example if you have a 5 disk array with single parity and lose 3 out of 5 disks the single good data disk is completely intact and readable. The good disk can easily be removed and plugged into another device with the contents fully intact. Now depending on how you set your shares to split, you may have some incomplete seasons. I think most recommend to set the split so that entire seasons stay on the same disk. That way you may lose some seasons but the ones you have will be complete but I digress, yeah, it's pretty much JBOD + parity.

Thanks! I have a better understanding of it now.