Install Unraid on 128GB flash disk

Maor

Hi, I have a strange issue. I got a bunch of SanDisk Ultra Dual 128GB USB-C from work. I want to install unraid on it, but the windows installer does not pick the flashdrive eventhough, I can can make it bootable with Rufus.

Is there any reason, why the installer can not use 128GB flash drive?

I suppose, I will need to follow documentation and copy unraid to it manually. Do you guys have some thoughts on how to put Hiren-bootcd beside Unraid on the same flash drive in order to have some debugging tools available

Solution:

So it seems to be quite easy:

1) Format flash drive as FAT32

2) Download Unraid as ZIP file

3) extract ZIP to the flash drive

4) run "make_bootable"; on windows 10 makebootable.bat, right click on it and hit Run as administrator

follow instructions

5) if everything went well the flashdrive will boot (not sure about EFI support)

it is documented in unraid documentation.

Edited by Maor
update
  • Like 1
47 minutes ago, Maor said:

To me it seems, that 32GB is limit of the formatting tool integrated in the Unraid installer.

FAT32 file system limitation, FAT32 has maximum compatibility across all platforms.

I believe you can just format to the max supported size, seeing as you get them so cheap, it wont be much of a loss for you.

51 minutes ago, tjb_altf4 said:

FAT32 file system limitation, FAT32 has maximum compatibility across all platforms.

I believe you can just format to the max supported size, seeing as you get them so cheap, it wont be much of a loss for you.

But it may be more trouble than it's worth. People sometimes have problems with flash disconnecting unless they boot from a USB2 port.

I strongly recommend this previous recommendation:

19 hours ago, primeval_god said:

Better to just go with a cheap drive than wasting a 128GB as a boot drive. UnRAID doesnt need that much space and there have been issues for some configurations booting from USB3 (which USB-C falls under). Better to use a drive capable of plugging into a USB2 port.

• 2 weeks later...