What if my sata controller fails

I’ve been trialling unsaid for a couple of weeks now and can attest how resilient it is,

I switched from using the motherboard 6 x Sara ports (all used with 1 parity drive and 5 storage drives in the array) to a HP240 HBA 8 port controller, I just plugged the HDDs in (any order) and it just worked.. And I just replaced that with a newly arrived lsi9207-8i controller, again just hooked up the HDDs (as it turns out in complete reverse order) and Unraid just fired up immediately and all disks got assigned correctly and the storage array started.

UNRAID uses the disk serial numbers to assign the disks, so it can handle it if you plug them in different orders, also if all disks are not present it won’t start the array up so it won’t trash your data, it will wait for you to plug in the missing disks..

• 2 weeks later...

Given what is said above does this extend to system replacement in its entirety except the disks?

What I am trying at here is this: If I take my drives and plug them into a new system (all hardware replaced except drives) and plug my USB Unraid into the new system will it just work or do I need to do something or will it tank the data?

The reason I ask is because I got 8 drives with data in an array with 1 extra as parity drive in Unraid ATM and I have no place to offload the data so need to keep it intact - but it is all on a PC that is vastly overpowered for the task (was bought for FreeNAS) so I am thinking about taking the drives and transplanting them into a minimalistic hardware setup since that releases my current hardware for other use and dramatically lowers power bill. I only use it for media storage so no real dockers and plugins or any VM's only Openvpn really.

Cheers

Edited by Hammer
6 hours ago, Hammer said:

What I am trying at here is this: If I take my drives and plug them into a new system (all hardware replaced except drives) and plug my USB Unraid into the new system will it just work or do I need to do something or will it tank the data?

It just works, assuming using onboard ports or HBAs, some RAID controllers might detect the disks differently.

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

It just works, assuming using onboard ports or HBAs, some RAID controllers might detect the disks differently.

Thank you very much! Yeah I am not going for raid controller. I will be moving my HBA controller with the disks and using SATA onboard as I am now.