Jitsi?

15 hours ago, jude said:

restarted Jitsi from Portainer yesterday by this morning video.meet.jitsi was using 3GB of RAM. I restarted it four hours ago and the RAM has already risen to 1.04GB. All of this has happened with no calls or video meets.

look at your LOG file sizes inside a container. by default, it logs all info messages. you should change log levels for each of container.

3 hours ago, uldise said:

look at your LOG file sizes inside a container. by default, it logs all info messages. you should change log levels for each of container.

OK when I go into Portainer to check the log location and size for docker video.meet.jitsi it gives this location

LogPath /var/lib/docker/containers/59c547b2df9694533b3e20444a0152279ad19096a515a3713a04e88c8cb94d3d/59c547b2df9694533b3e20444a0152279ad19096a515a3713a04e88c8cb94d3d-json.log

when I go to that location in /var and find 59c547b2df9694533b3e20444a0152279ad19096a515a3713a04e88c8cb94d3d-json.log it shows the log file as 12,106K and rising slowly.

At the same time Unraid's docker container management page shows video.meet.jitsi using 365.3MiB of RAM (and rising consistently)

So I'm not sure that the log entries are creating the expanding RAM usage.

Jitsi has been running for 25 minutes.

I can't see where or how to change the log levels for each container in Unraid dockers or in Portainer. Can you give me the location for that please and thank you

Edited by jude
1 hour ago, jude said:

I can't see where or how to change the log levels for each container in Unraid dockers or in Portainer. Can you give me the location for that please and thank you

i have jitsi running on VM, so i don't know where the config file resides on this container. Usually all config files are on appdata config folder that is mapped to particular container. on my system there is a file logging.properties near videobridge config file, and you set .level variable to WARNING for example to log only warning level and above.

according RAM usage - i don't notice any huge increase over time in my VM.

43 minutes ago, uldise said:

i have jitsi running on VM, so i don't know where the config file resides on this container. Usually all config files are on appdata config folder that is mapped to particular container. on my system there is a file logging.properties near videobridge config file, and you set .level variable to WARNING for example to log only warning level and above.

according RAM usage - i don't notice any huge increase over time in my VM.

Thanks I'm going to post my question into the Jitsi video support thread for @SpaceInvaderOne 's video. I should have posted there in the first place.

ok thought i had sorted out my issues but something else has come up now.

Before i had only tried connecting with 2 people one on local network and one on cellular which seemed to work ok.

just tried to setup a meeting for my daughter and her friends and soon as more than 2 connect everyone seems to loose video...

any Ideas?

ok so this seems to be an issue ongoing with setting things up and running a server but I don't know how to fix.

Basically if you have more than 2 people and its a mixture of internal to lan and external lan clients the internal and external people cant see eachother.

Seem multiple fixes but no idea how to fix it as its way above my head.

https://github.com/jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet/issues/403

https://github.com/jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet/issues/398

Hi, I am also trying to setup this following spaceinvader´s one video.

Pls, can anyone let me know how to connect using putty to xmpp.meet.jitsi?

Edit: Also, what should I write in the .env file in:

# Public URL for the web service
PUBLIC_URL=https://meet.magmajitsi.com

if my subdomain created in duckdns is "magmajitsi"?

imagen.png.3614f956ad0c22ed389f122cd6685836.png

So the server name should also be:

server_name meet.magmajitsi.com

Edited by luca2

HI Guys

Mine works just like it says on the tin from the video

But i am seeing some errors in Fix common problems

Has anybody got the same errors and how do you fix them.

Do not say hit the Apply Fix button as it does not work :)

Please can you explain how to fix this issue if you have managed to fix it?

Screenshot- 269.png

12 hours ago, OsoPolar said:

HI Guys

Mine works just like it says on the tin from the video

But i am seeing some errors in Fix common problems

Has anybody got the same errors and how do you fix them.

Do not say hit the Apply Fix button as it does not work :)

Please can you explain how to fix this issue if you have managed to fix it?

Screenshot- 269.png

I am also seeing this error.   Everything with the meetings appear to work.  But it is frustrating to have errors...  if you figure out how to fix let me know.  

Also I am wondering  how so we update

The method I have found to update each of the Jitsi docker involves using Portainer.

In the Portainer GUI, click Stacks > selected docker-jitsi-meet -> select all and stop all -> Select each Container one at a time (i.e. click on it's name) -> Click Recreate and click "Pull latest image" and then "Recreate" -> once all are updated start all containers -> restart letsencrypt -> done

@SpaceInvaderOne Is there a better way?

Also, can you help enable Colibri for Jitsi stats? I can't seem to figure it out with this set up.

Thank you!

• Like 2
On 5/2/2020 at 5:24 PM, Michael Woodson said:

I have just followed that fully and mine are still showing update available and still got the fix common problem issue with template

In the Portainer GUI, click Stacks > selected docker-jitsi-meet -> select all and stop all -> Select each Container one at a time (i.e. click on it's name) -> Click Recreate and click "Pull latest image" and then "Recreate" -> once all are updated start all containers -> restart letsencrypt -> done

@SpaceInvaderOne Is there a better way?

Also, can you help enable Colibri for Jitsi stats? I can't seem to figure it out with this set up.

Thank you!

1216102438_Screenshot-287.thumb.png.331ed3e464c4f8bf51245d8c09fcbbea.png

Screenshot- 269.png

Edited by OsoPolar

I have the same thing.  The current situation is kind of messy since it was installed song docker compose so Portainer is pretty much like “it isn’t mine” and Unraids docker manager isn’t like “not me!”   

I will probably reinstall the stack in Portainer or hopefully someone will roll an Unraid docker for jitsi that works well. It would actually be nice if they were rolled into one just for convenience. 

also if you are using Nginx Proxy Manager, you need to expose port 5280 on the prosody container in Portainer. 

I agree it is very messy and disjointed when you can use the website far easier.

If you link tinkering and having errors all over the place it is ok .

But i have OCD i cannot stand errors and messages and fix buttons that don’t work all over my dashboard.

I think it's going to have to go unless I fix is possible.

7 hours ago, tknx said:

I have the same thing.  The current situation is kind of messy since it was installed song docker compose so Portainer is pretty much like “it isn’t mine” and Unraids docker manager isn’t like “not me!”   

I will probably reinstall the stack in Portainer or hopefully someone will roll an Unraid docker for jitsi that works well. It would actually be nice if they were rolled into one just for convenience. 

also if you are using Nginx Proxy Manager, you need to expose port 5280 on the prosody container in Portainer. 

I wonder if you can explain how you might go about installing in portainer:?

Also would this get rid of the errors seen above? as I agree with comment by @Osopolar  that my OCD does not like seeing errors or things saying they need updates. 

I have tried updating via the portainer route described above. It did update by look of it. But on docker page still see the "update available." warning.. 

I doubt it would fix the Unraid issue, but I have been contemplating switching over to Portainer for all my dockers anyway.

For installing it in portainer, I will need to experiment with it but I suspect it should be straightforward. Not sure why spaceinvader didn't just do that if he was going to use the GUI for some parts and not others.

I just went through SpaceInvaderOne's vid for Jitsi (great work mate!) - all seems to be working internally.

When I tried to connect via https://meet.domain.com/ I just get the default LetsEncrypt page, "Welcome to our server".

I've got a pfSense firewall forwarding 4443 and 10000 to my unraid IP.  I've got other containers working with the LetsEncrypt reverse proxy.  I'm assuming I have something wrong in my jitsimeet.subdomain.conf file but I'm just using the one attached to SpaceInvaderOne's video with no changes.

The only hint that I can see is that in Portainer I don't have any published ports against any of the containers (I see them in the video).  I can ping 'meet.jitsi', etc from the LE container so I know it can see/reach the four jitsi containers - I'm just not sure about the ports.

image.thumb.png.11e0993839fb51243483695c2c317960.png

image.thumb.png.cfb7f6b184690ae14558dcfd1a4ef7ff.png

Any suggestions?

Edited by nug

@nug

I note that he uses a special network for his reverse proxying so if you have it setup the same way - you need to join that network in portainer.

Also, oddly enough, if you look at spaceinvader's video and even my own docker page, I don't have any ports mapped for xmpp besides 5280 that I manually added.

@tknx I noticed that but was trying to keep my current setup as the rest of my reverse proxy/containers work ok with what I have now, which is a VLAN created off of BR0:

image.png.99520f803d68eef63d4cd386da9b13d0.png

I like being able to use a VLAN as I have a bit more control in pfsense for firewalling, etc.

I went back to original video that he setup that Proxynet (the first 'setup a reverse proxy' one) and all he does is 'docker create network proxynet' but that must register it differently for Docker to use.

I noticed there is a difference between a VLAN created in Unraid and a Docker network:

image.png.36fd123426426e997c5c440f5b26f987.png

image.png.e9708641f44834042daab9d7e59121b8.png

I suspect it's the 'bridge' that allows it to work with Docker better?  I thought I might be onto something when I found an option in the Docker settings for 'Allow access to custom networks', which I've now enabled but that hasn't made a difference.

I'll try swapping my LE container and the rest of my proxied containers across to a new docker network today and see how I go - thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by nug

For the record - I'm an idiot.

It would have been working all along if I didn't accidentally name the LE conf file - jitsimeet.subdomain.com. Fixed that up, restarted LE and bang! She's up and running. Thanks for the help anyway!

On 5/7/2020 at 3:01 AM, OsoPolar said:

Has anybody worked out how to update the containers correctly and hide the errors?

Going thru portainer you click on the container. Then there is a red button on the top that says "Recreate." After you click that, flip the toggle on that says pull latest image. Then recreate. Be advised that your container names will change and the proxy networks may not persist. You'll have to make those changes.

If that doesn't work, run thru the docker-compose commands in the terminal and rebuild the stack.

Neither of these suppressed the warnings I got in Fix Common Errors and the docker tab says I need updating.

I personally wouldn't update unless there's compelling reason to do so. Ed helped me troubleshoot all this after I updated and broke my setup. I vowed not to update jitsi until after my daughter's virtual birthday party next weekend.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 12:57 PM, dallus said:

Going thru portainer you click on the container. Then there is a red button on the top that says "Recreate." After you click that, flip the toggle on that says pull latest image. Then recreate. Be advised that your container names will change and the proxy networks may not persist. You'll have to make those changes.

If that doesn't work, run thru the docker-compose commands in the terminal and rebuild the stack.

Neither of these suppressed the warnings I got in Fix Common Errors and the docker tab says I need updating.

I personally wouldn't update unless there's compelling reason to do so. Ed helped me troubleshoot all this after I updated and broke my setup. I vowed not to update jitsi until after my daughter's virtual birthday party next weekend.

There is no "recreate" button for me. Any idea why I'm not seeing it? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I tinkered with this quite a bit, and have some observations worth mentioning.

The use of Docker-Compose/Portainer, alongside native unraid docker (Dockerman) handling, is certainly interesting, but fraught with problems in my opinion. These two are competing technologies that do not work well together. It clutters things up, and is responsible for ongoing errors warnings. So you have a few options to consider.

• Move all your dockers to compose/portainer. - Unraid support for compose is limited. If you want to maximise your use of unraid, just live with it the way it is.
  • Move jitsi to a VM. Containers are for microservices, and is not meant for every use case out there. There are a couple of youtubes (crosstalk solutions) that take you through the steps. I would love to get this working while keeping letencrypt nginx proxy docker acting as a front end. Would be cool.
  • Hybrid solution is to create a vm, and run docker in the vm, and then set up portainer/lxc as an alternative to dockerman. Run jitsi dockers here, or migrate all your dockers. You are going through an extra layer of virtualisation... so not sure how much this would drain performance.

I ran up an instance of ubuntu server, and just going through the typical hardening process for a server. Lots to learn and fun doing this. Install of jitsi is a simple apt command once you get past server hardening.

I am playing with all these possibilities, and honestly don't have a conclusion at this time. Strengths and weaknesses for all options