Server was down for 18 mos, parity check paused with errors

inh

Over a year ago I ran a parity check, shut down the server, bagged and boxed the drivers, and that's how things sat. Last night I put it all back together, turned it on, and started a parity check. Shortly after it started it paused with errors on a few drives.

It looks like disk 5 has SMART errors, disk 6 has unspecified errors, and disk 7 has a whole bunch of errors that caused it to be disabled.

Unsure of how to proceed from here due to the multiple disks...

tower-diagnostics-20200319-0736.zip

24 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Disk5 and parity need a new SATA cable.

The read errors appear to be the typical SASLP problem, multiple disks dropped offline at the same time, recommend replacing it with an LSI.

Just to be clear, you recommend getting rid of my raid card and getting an LSI brand card? Doesn't look micro center has anything decent available, which sucks as I want to get this server up ASAP.

I thought the SASLP was a good one to get, but this was back in 2011 when I built it.  I guess I'll go on the hunt for a new card and cables. Thank you.

24 minutes ago, inh said:

Just to be clear, you recommend getting rid of my raid card and getting an LSI brand card?

Yes, both the SASLP and SAS2LP are nothing but trouble with recent Unraid, look for any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008/3408 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, 9400-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

5 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Yes, both the SASLP and SAS2LP are nothing but trouble with recent Unraid, look for any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008/3408 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, 9400-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

Will do, thank you! Since I pulled the diagnostics file, I'm good to shutdown the server right? I want to have a go at these cables but dont want to lose anything that might be needed by powering down.

Edit: once I replace the card and cables, start it up and run a parity check with all drives enabled?

Edited by inh
36 minutes ago, inh said:

I'm good to shutdown the server right?

Yes.

36 minutes ago, inh said:

Edit: once I replace the card and cables, start it up and run a parity check with all drives enabled?

The disk that got disable (disk7) will stay disable, you'll need to either rebuild on top (only if the emulated disk mounts correctly) or do a new config and run a correcting parity check.

Before doing anything you should also check SMART for the disks that dropped (6 and 7), they should be OK but better check before doing anything, if you want post diags so we can also check.