Please help - How to reassign eth0 to different port from command line

Hi all

I need instructions on how to reassign eth0 to a different port from the command line.  I have a 2 port Mellanox 10gb card + 2 nic ports on the motherboard.  The Mellanox port assigned to eth0 has failed - no connectivity.  NO GUI so I cannot get into Unraid to change the default eth0 port from network settings.

Please advise how I can re-assign from the command line.

ALSO

How to bond one of the other ports to eth0 so that there is redundancy in case one fails.

Thanks in advance.

On 3/19/2020 at 3:06 PM, johnnie.black said:

Reboot and boot using the GUI mode, then reconfig your lan, you can type "reboot" on the console to do a clean shutdown.

Thank you for your reply.  I have done this but seems my server has other issues.  Don't know whether this forum is the appropriate section or my question needs to be moved to some other forum.  Server is running 6.8.0

Issues:

1. Main unraid server not able to reach DNS server (PfblockerNG on Pfsense) even though all other clients on various Vlans and backup Unraid server getting DNS.
  2. Main server no longer re-booting.  Have to do a hard restart after any change - gets stuck at "Loading /bzroot...ok" Then nothing (see attached)

Please advise.

Thank you.

Rebooting.PNG

4 hours ago, Do2a-2d said:

I can reach the Github page if I click on the "here" hyperlink

That's your browser running on whatever system its on reaching GitHub.  unRaid (or specifically in this case, CA cannot)

Main unraid server not able to reach DNS server (PfblockerNG on Pfsense) even though all other clients on various Vlans and backup Unraid server getting DNS.

The obvious question is have you instead set a DNS to something other than pfsense?  IIRC, there was another user who had pfsense wind up blocking unRaid's needs

1. Main server no longer re-booting.  Have to do a hard restart after any change - gets stuck at "Loading /bzroot...ok" Then nothing (see attached)

I would download the unRaid zip file from Limetech's website, then replace all of the bz* files on the flash drive with the ones contained in the zip.

39 minutes ago, Squid said:

That's your browser running on whatever system its on reaching GitHub.  unRaid (or specifically in this case, CA cannot)

Yes.  Understand that.  Just saying that DNS is being resolved outside of Unraid.

41 minutes ago, Squid said:

The obvious question is have you instead set a DNS to something other than pfsense?  IIRC, there was another user who had pfsense wind up blocking unRaid's needs

No. DNS is set to PfSense as has been for the past 3 years.  No changes there and was resolving just fine till a few days ago.  This instance of Pfsense is running PfBlockerNG.

Also Pfsense is resolving DNS just fine for the backup unraid server as CA is able to reach out.

Have also tried swapping the main Pfsense box with an older Pfsense box that I used till a few months ago.  Same problem on the old PfSense.  Old PfSense not running PFBlockerNG so the problem is with the instance of Unraid on the main server. Something that has developed over the last week.

46 minutes ago, Squid said:

I would download the unRaid zip file from Limetech's website, then replace all of the bz* files on the flash drive with the ones contained in the zip.

Are there any differences in the *bz files in the current version 6.8.3 to the version I am running - 6.8.0?

Also if I were to do a fresh install on a new usb, what files/folders do I need to copy from old flash to new flash to maintain drive and docker settings.  Drives are encrypted and have a lot of personal data that I do not want to loose.

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Do2a-2d said:

Are there any differences in the *bz files in the current version 6.8.3 to the version I am running - 6.8.0?

Yes.  You would wind up upgrading to 6.8.3 if you use it's bz* files from the zip.  If you really want to stay on 6.8.0 then you would use

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer-6.8.0-x86_64.zip

7 minutes ago, Do2a-2d said:

Also if I were to do a fresh install on a new usb, what files/folders do I need to copy from old flash to new flash to maintain drive and docker settings.  Drives are encrypted and have a lot of personal data that I do not want to loose.

Everything within the config folder on the flash.  When booting it up, unRaid will walk you through transferring the licence from the old flash to the new

Thank you.

I have updated to 6.8.3 as per above.  I copied over the config folder except for the network.cfg file.  This resolved the DNS issue.  However the hang on reboot persists.  Also, I was using the Nvidia version of Unraid and I did re-install Nvidia 6.8.3 after upgrading.

Happy to upload any logs to resolve the reboot issue.  This is a major problem for me as I am self-hosting Nextcloud and need system to come up by itself if I am not home.

• 3 months later...

I've been having a similar problem — I'm using a Dell R720 with a NIC that has four ports, but eth0 and eth1 are SFP fibre ports. I'm using eth3, but unRAID lost the DNS config once I switched. The network settings page has the DNS settings under eth0 rather than either per-port or separate from all the ports.

unRAID had decided to bridge eth3 to eth0, even though I'm not using eth0. When I turned bridging off on eth0, and enabled it on eth3 with no other interfaces on the bridge (and then had to change the bridge on every VM — a "bulk edit" mode would be greatly appreciated) DNS stopped working after a reboot.

When I looked at /boot/config/network.cfg, these lines were missing:

DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="yes"
DNS_SERVER1="192.168.1.1"
DNS_SERVER2="1.1.1.1"
DHCP6_KEEPRESOLV="no"

Adding them back in and rebooting seemed to confuse unRAID, because console now said this after boot. Presumably the code that generates this is assuming eth0 will always be used.

unRAID Server OS version: 6.8.3
 IPv4 address: not set
 IPv6 address: not set

I could still ssh in, but the web interface was down.

I eventually resolved this by reverting to the original network.cfg that used eth0 for everything, and editing /boot/config/network-rules.cfg to change the port assignments, so the port in use is now treated as eth0. (That might be an easier fix for anybody else who has a port failure :))