How do you fit all hardware in your computers?

widdefmh

Hi! 
I'm running Unraid with two graphics cards (running two os simultaneously, Windows 10 and Manjaro Linux).
The cards I have are Nvidia GTX 1060 (sadly with a third party large cooler) and a AMD RX580.
I have a very hard time to fit any extra card in my computer because the gpu:s take a very large place
and blocks other ports. 
I have been able to insert another usb pci-e card, but that's it. 

I have an ATX motherboard and a large chassi (Lian Li O11 Dynamic)
How do you fit all your hardware in you unraid boxes? 

Nowadays when I'm searching for a motherboard I want a PCI-e x1 over the first pci-e 16x-slot, because then you know
that at least one extra card fits.. 

All gpu:s nowadays always takes at least 2 slots and even more sometimes and often the other pci-e slots are too narrow each other :(

The biggest challenge nowadays, to get "2 computers in 1" is to be able to fit the hardware you need. :(

5 hours ago, testdasi said:

Uhm... get GPU that properly fits in 2 slots? There are plenty out there.

TBH, I don't see why GTX 1060 needs giant >2-slot coolers. It's like super-charging a Fiat 500.

My GTX 1060 is an Asus Dual OC GTX 1060 with the worst cooler in history, the fans starts and stops all the time because the passive threshold was set exactly where the card temp is when idling. Changed this to a third party arctic cooling cooler, because I wasn't able to find one which was smaller. 
If you know a cooler that is smaller and silent, love to hear the brand and model.

Actually this cooler is not a lot bigger than regular ones and the gpus still takes a big place and blocks other ports on the motherboard. 

Under my RX580 I could install a usb card but it damn close to the gpu fans, a couple of millimeters.

On a regular ATX board 2 gpu cards blocks 2 or 3, pci-e ports (excluded the ports that the cards are installed in) and you usually don't get more ports than that on an ATX board. Looks like I'm the only one with this issue, good to hear.

EDIT: And no, did not want to fiddle with fan curves in software because there are no good software for it in Linux.

Edited by widdefmh