Unraid freezing issue.

I have some kind of Unraid issue that I cannot seem to put my finger on. Occurred on 6.8.2 and 6.8.3

Basically, it comes down to my whole server freezing about every 2 weeks where I have to hard reset it.

The weird thing is that it usually occurs when I am RDPing to 1 Windows 10 VM that I have running on the server.

VM only has VPN software installed and a few browsers, nothing out of the ordinary on it.

Recent changes involve removing GPU, and putting in a 10gig card. (HP 530SFP+ 10Gb Dual Port PCIe Ethernet Adapter Card 656244-001)

10gig card is only direct connected to my main computer on a different network.

Unraid server is connected via 1gig to the main network and my laptop is on WiFi.

Since my server is headless, I cannot even see what is on the screen when it's frozen. Hitting any buttons in the front to hopefully safe shutdown doesn't yield any results so I will have to power cycle and run the HD check after.

Will attach Diag once I can access the server to power cycle. (Done!)

tower-diagnostics-20200321-0928.zip

Edited by dimitriz
Added Diagnostics
  • 3 weeks later...

Did you manage to resolve this? Have you also tried without the 10G card and check if the problem still occurs? I also recommend attaching a temporary monitor to check what exactly happens. 

I am also planning to get the HP 530SFP+ card so ill try it out as well, I do have a server grade motherboard so for me it might be different.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2020 at 4:59 AM, Inenting said:

Did you manage to resolve this? Have you also tried without the 10G card and check if the problem still occurs? I also recommend attaching a temporary monitor to check what exactly happens. 

I am also planning to get the HP 530SFP+ card so ill try it out as well, I do have a server grade motherboard so for me it might be different.

Hi, sorry for delayed reply...

My MB had only 1x PCIe left, so I bought and external converter to 16x PCie for the next time if it crashes.

The system has been stable so far. However, I changed what I thought was the easiest part. The VPN software in the VM. I went from Surfshark to VPN Unlimited. My thoughts were that there was some kind of issue with Kill Switch in Surfshark that was causing the problem.

Also, I ran across some other weird issue that make me not want to run any VMs on Unraid.....

#1 When I use VPN in the VM my connection to the VM is cut.. why? I have no idea. (It doesn't matter if Kill Switch is enabled or disabled) It still runs and if I RDP to it my connection is fine for a while until I try reconnecting. Even running TV or Splashtop it shows that the VM is up but I cannot connect to it. VNC from within Unraid works fine at a ridiculous resolution.

I simulated the same scenario on my VMware server and none of the issues appear there.

#2 Memory management doesn't seem to exist at all. On Unraid I allocated up to 8gig of RAM and my VM uses ALL of it with barely anything running. Yet the identical config on VMware uses 2gig of RAM. 

Thanks!