USB creator not seeing USB drive.

On 5/15/2020 at 1:56 AM, aneelley said:

I agree.  I have been an Unraid Pro key user for a number of years and I am running the system off a legacy Sandisk Cruzer Ultra fit.  Works great.  I purchased a Sandisk 32GB USB 3.1 Gen 1 Ultra Fit flash drive to build a new server with a Unraid Pro key.  The USB creator will not see the new flash drive.  I tried the manual method and the server will not boot from the drive.  It does see the drive in the bios and I have it as the first boot unit.  Not sure why this would not work unless it is because it is USB 3.1 and not USB 2.0.  Sounds like we need an update to support newer versions of USB flash drives. The old ones are getting harder to find.  Just my .02.

I just had the same problem with my Sandisk 32GB USB 3.1 Ultra Fit that I bought just for that.

I even tested it on another computer and wasted a lot of time until I came in here and saw your reports.

How frustrating!

• 3 weeks later...

I also bought a SanDisk Cruzer Ultra Fit 32GB USB3.1 Flash Drive specifically for a new UNRAID build because I wanted to replace a 10+ year old 2GB USB drive i was using... I think it is a little silly so limit modern hardware such as this, the USB Creator should just work.

Edit: works just fine doing it the manual/legacy method!

Edited by Devar
more info
  • 4 weeks later...

I just wasted 30 minutes on this. Today, 32GB flash drives are actually harder to find in stores than one would imagine. But even when I found one, the utility did not like it, even if I put it in a USB 2.0. port. I had to do the manual approach, but luckily the stick boots just fine now with UnRAID. If the app can't be updated, the legacy approach should be the default one presented on the web page.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Same as everyone else, i have 2 Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB3.1 drives formatted as Fat32 and the USB creator does nto recognize them.... I have my whole build ready to go and i have been back and forth for weeks as to whether to use UNRAID or another leading free NAS software....I finally decided on UNRAID and now this.... not very happy :(

Please, please, please update the creator software so we can use these USB 3.0 drives

5 hours ago, zdavesf said:

Same as everyone else, i have 2 Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB3.1 drives formatted as Fat32 and the USB creator does nto recognize them.... I have my whole build ready to go and i have been back and forth for weeks as to whether to use UNRAID or another leading free NAS software....I finally decided on UNRAID and now this.... not very happy :(

Please, please, please update the creator software so we can use these USB 3.0 drives

The USB creator seems to be left untouched with regards to this issue. Don't let that discourage you from using unraid. The manual install works fine https://wiki.unraid.net/Articles/Getting_Started#Manual_Install_Method

Trust me, I'm but defending the USB creator, but honestly if the manual instructions are too much effort (format and label a flash drive, download and unzip a file, run a bat file) then you're not going to have a good time running a server regardless of what OS it is.

Unraid probably should deprecate the USB creator and promote the manual option to the recommended method. The USB creator will increasingly leave a bad first impression as USB 2 becomes less common over time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 11/1/2021 at 7:13 PM, iXNyNe said:

Trust me, I'm but defending the USB creator, but honestly if the manual instructions are too much effort (format and label a flash drive, download and unzip a file, run a bat file) then you're not going to have a good time running a server regardless of what OS it is.

Nah, the point I'm trying to make is that Unraid isn't moving with the market. If they aren't moving in this regard, what else is being left on the cutting room floor? Security? I'm trying to follow best practices but I literally need to purchase a separate USB card and pay for new old stock of USB drives just so I can ensure that my niche problem isn't caused by that one tiny ignored issue.

I have Gen 3/4 NVME drives coming out of my ears at this point. I'm not trying to brag here but it's literally cheaper for me to just run my Samsung enterprise M.3 drive. Or maybe my 3.2TB Fusion IO PCIE drive? I'd love to find a use for my old 1TB 950 Pro or my unused 1TB 980 Pro ... but instead I'm cornered into wasting yet another PCIE slot just for one USB device. USB 3.0 came out in 2008. We are generations on. This is bordering on Grandpa software. George RR Martin probably is using it for his plex box.

My problem is so ridiculous this is what my gaming box looks like. I'm sure I'm not the only hardware addict out there which is why so many of us are in this hobby to begin with.

image.png.77fc1ad5a98c522db9953f064cf327c8.png

Sorry if it seems over the top but it's a 13 year old problem. The squeaky wheel gets the grease or whatever. Please don't take this post as any sort of disrespect; I truly don't intend to attack any posters or devs. I wouldn't want my product's first step to result in a failure due to off-the-shelf availability of a critical niche piece of hardware.

This is currently how I would solve this issue: Remove one of my Dell IT-mode PERC H310s and 52TB of storage and buy this.

How can this still be am issue?

I am about to setup an UnRAID machine for a friend and I ran into the exact same problem that this garbage USB creator does not detect ANY of the 10 different drives I tried.

The manual method created a working USB drive that this UnRAID machine now runs on (so my sandisk usb drive is okay) but c'mon @limetech !!!
Fix that USB creator!!!!

This is a HORRIBLE first impression for anyone who considers trying UnRAID!!!

Edited by cholzer
3 hours ago, lobstar said:

Nah, the point I'm trying to make is that Unraid isn't moving with the market. If they aren't moving in this regard, what else is being left on the cutting room floor? Security? I'm trying to follow best practices but I literally need to purchase a separate USB card and pay for new old stock of USB drives just so I can ensure that my niche problem isn't caused by that one tiny ignored issue.

I have Gen 3/4 NVME drives coming out of my ears at this point. I'm not trying to brag here but it's literally cheaper for me to just run my Samsung enterprise M.3 drive. Or maybe my 3.2TB Fusion IO PCIE drive? I'd love to find a use for my old 1TB 950 Pro or my unused 1TB 980 Pro ... but instead I'm cornered into wasting yet another PCIE slot just for one USB device. USB 3.0 came out in 2008. We are generations on. This is bordering on Grandpa software. George RR Martin probably is using it for his plex box.

My problem is so ridiculous this is what my gaming box looks like. I'm sure I'm not the only hardware addict out there which is why so many of us are in this hobby to begin with.

image.png.77fc1ad5a98c522db9953f064cf327c8.png

Sorry if it seems over the top but it's a 13 year old problem. The squeaky wheel gets the grease or whatever. Please don't take this post as any sort of disrespect; I truly don't intend to attack any posters or devs. I wouldn't want my product's first step to result in a failure due to off-the-shelf availability of a critical niche piece of hardware.

This is currently how I would solve this issue: Remove one of my Dell IT-mode PERC H310s and 52TB of storage and buy this.

I don't disagree with the points you're making, but does your system not have USB at all?

The USB port on your server does not have to be 2.0. The USB creator is where the problem is. If you buy a brand new USB 3.0/3.1 flash drive and use the manual method to setup the flash drive you can plug it into any USB 2.x/3.x port on your server without issue.

Booting from something other than USB (ex: using a nvme as the boot disk) is another issue entirely. And I'm completely on board that this would be lovely to have, but I wouldn't count it against unraid in the same capacity as the USB creator issues.

• 3 months later...

I think the point is, this is little to do with USB 2 / 3 and the stick you use, the manual method works, the creator hasn't worked for many years.  @limetech need to at least publish on their download page that this is the case, so that everyone doesn't waste their time wondering what they did wrong and wasting hours in the process.  Even an .img file using a 3rd party image transfer tool would be better.  Or just list the actual things that work.

• 1 month later...

OMG this is so frustrating.

Obviously there are issues with the USB Creator tool. I'm on MAC and it won't see the USB key, tried a different key, same thing. POS!!!

OK, everyone says to follow the manual method... well that doesn't complete properly either.

1. Format USB key - done

2. Download .zip file of unRAID - done

3. Extract .zip to USB key - done

4. double-click the file make_bootable_mac and enter your admin password when prompted. --- ERROR

I'm running OS 12.2.1 and unless you Control + click, then Open 'mac_bootable_mac' it won't even run.

Having done control+click open, it starts to run and asks for my password. Gets so far and then throws another error “syslinux” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified."

OK, so I find the 'syslinux' file and control + click open that file. Eventually it says complete and I can eject the USB key.

Plug it into computer boot from USB key and get "non-system disk" press any key to restart

OK, let me rename the EFI- folder to EFI

Try booting, lets me select unRAID OS or unRAID OS GUI etc.

Select unRAID OS GUI as I'm just using this to pre-clear an external USB drive before I shuck it. Boots MOST of the way and then just has a flashing cursor in the top left hand corner.

GAAAAHHHH This is so ridiculous!!!!!!!

9 minutes ago, unRAIDuser7 said:

OMG this is so frustrating.

Obviously there are issues with the USB Creator tool. I'm on MAC and it won't see the USB key, tried a different key, same thing. POS!!!

OK, everyone says to follow the manual method... well that doesn't complete properly either.

1. Format USB key - done

2. Download .zip file of unRAID - done

3. Extract .zip to USB key - done

4. double-click the file make_bootable_mac and enter your admin password when prompted. --- ERROR

I'm running OS 12.2.1 and unless you Control + click, then Open 'mac_bootable_mac' it won't even run.

Having done control+click open, it starts to run and asks for my password. Gets so far and then throws another error “syslinux” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified."

OK, so I find the 'syslinux' file and control + click open that file. Eventually it says complete and I can eject the USB key.

Plug it into computer boot from USB key and get "non-system disk" press any key to restart

OK, let me rename the EFI- folder to EFI

Try booting, lets me select unRAID OS or unRAID OS GUI etc.

Select unRAID OS GUI as I'm just using this to pre-clear an external USB drive before I shuck it. Boots MOST of the way and then just has a flashing cursor in the top left hand corner.

GAAAAHHHH This is so ridiculous!!!!!!!

It actually sounds like you've managed to get through the creation of the USB (using the manual method) and you're now having an issue with the GUI when booting. I'm no expert, but I wonder if you could try the non-GUI boot option and then access the web UI over the network via the server IP? If so, you should be able to pre-clear from there (I believe you would be looking to install CA and then the preclear app).

1 hour ago, iXNyNe said:

It actually sounds like you've managed to get through the creation of the USB (using the manual method) and you're now having an issue with the GUI when booting. I'm no expert, but I wonder if you could try the non-GUI boot option and then access the web UI over the network via the server IP? If so, you should be able to pre-clear from there (I believe you would be looking to install CA and then the preclear app).

Correct, I was able to get through the creation of the USB key with A LOT of frustration and BS that I shouldn't have to go through. Not to mention that the non-UEFI option won't even boot, and I did have the BIOS set for legacy while trying to boot with the non-UEFI version.

I was able to connect to unRAID via the assigned IP address. That said... I shouldn't have to, if there's an option for the GUI it should just work.

This all started because I have 2 systems at home; a Windows 10 Desktop, and a MacBook Pro. I created a legacy bootable USB key for unRAID 6.10.RC4, which I was able to boot into just fine. The problem with 6.10.RC4 was that it gave me NO option for a trial key so I couldn't start the array. I couldn't create the 6.9.2 bootable key off the windows desktop because I was using that as the unRAID server for pre-clearing the drive and would have to put the PCIE drives back in, so I figured I'll just use my Mac.

Long story short: The process for creating the bootable USB key works sometimes, other times it does't. When it doesn't it's a PITA, at least on a MAC.

20 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You should have been able to get a trial key for that release.   Perhaps a screenshot of exactly what happened at that point might give a clue as to why.

From memory.

Booted into OS with GUI - legacy mode. Prompted me for username/password. Once logged in was immediately greeted with "Sign-in" or "Sign-up" wanted neither of those so I clicked beside the pop-up as this was running in a Firefox tab. Added a data drive. Scrolled down to where you normally start the array, which told me I needed to register which hyperlinked me to Tools/Registration page. Once there the blurb explained about using a Trial Key, which I've seen before as I currently run a Pro License on my unRAID server. Below the blurb there was only a single option, which if I remember correctly was 'sign-in'. I chose that and it did some thinking then complained about needing to add unraid.net as an exception as it was being blocked, which made no sense as it's on a VLAN that has wide open internet. 

I searched around and could find no button for a trial key. I went to the various tabs in unRAID and back to the Tools/Registration page several times and no option for a trial. I rebooted as well thinking there was an issue with something else. Same result. I made sure my date/time were correct, they were. 

Once I finish my pre-clear, not sure how long it'll take as it's 14tB, I'll create the 6.10.RC4 image and boot it up again and capture what shows up, if it's the same as I had previously.

Edited by unRAIDuser7
Addition
11 minutes ago, unRAIDuser7 said:

Once logged in was immediately greeted with "Sign-in" or "Sign-up"

From the rc4 release notes.

Starting with this release, it will be necessary for a new user to either sign-in with existing forum credentials or sign-up, creating a new account via the UPC in order to download a Trial key.  All key purchases and upgrades are also handled exclusively via the UPC.

6 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

From the rc4 release notes.

Starting with this release, it will be necessary for a new user to either sign-in with existing forum credentials or sign-up, creating a new account via the UPC in order to download a Trial key.  All key purchases and upgrades are also handled exclusively via the UPC.

Well, no need to create the 6.10.RC4 key again I guess, that explains why there was no option present.

Also slightly annoying to have to look up my credentials with a >16 character complex password to sign in, just to pre-clear a drive outside of my main system.