Is unRAID right for me?

Here is my hardware:

• Xeon E3 1240v5
  • 32 GB (2 DIMM) Crucial ECC RAM
  • 6x8TB Seagate Iron Wolf HDD
  • m.2 system drive

I am CURRENTLY RUNNING WINDOWS 10 ON THIS MACHINE with about 13TB of data used in my BIOS RAID6 array. I chose Windows 10 at first because I needed to run HD Home Run. Now, that's no longer relevant and I'm free!

Use cases are:

• Media server for Windows, Kodi, and Mac, and iOS devices
  • Home server for files and such
  • Torrent seeding and download
  • ROM server for HyperSpin/emulation
  • Potentially as server for my D&D game? Maybe not...

Note that I have to figure out some way to incorporate all the data I currently have on my Windows drives in the machine, so please take that into account!

Is unRAID right for me? Will it be able to accept my Windows HDD data?

Your best bet is to put all your data on 2 of the 8tb drives. You can start with the putting the 4 8tb drives with no data in the unraid array as data drives.

Then connect the 2 8tb drives with your data as unassigned devices and copy data to array. You can do this without parity for now as the data will still reside on the original drives.

Once copy is done you can use 1 as parity and add another as a data drive or just go dual parity from the get go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, ratzofftoya said:

Here is my hardware:

• Xeon E3 1240v5
  • 32 GB (2 DIMM) Crucial ECC RAM
  • 6x8TB Seagate Iron Wolf HDD
  • m.2 system drive

I am CURRENTLY RUNNING WINDOWS 10 ON THIS MACHINE with about 13TB of data used in my BIOS RAID6 array. I chose Windows 10 at first because I needed to run HD Home Run. Now, that's no longer relevant and I'm free!

Use cases are:

• Media server for Windows, Kodi, and Mac, and iOS devices
  • Home server for files and such
  • Torrent seeding and download
  • ROM server for HyperSpin/emulation
  • Potentially as server for my D&D game? Maybe not...

Note that I have to figure out some way to incorporate all the data I currently have on my Windows drives in the machine, so please take that into account!

Is unRAID right for me? Will it be able to accept my Windows HDD data?

The safest, probably best, way to migrate is to get external HDD, move your data to the external then set up your Unraid array then move data back.

You mentioned "BIOS RAID6", which suggests hardware RAID which makes it rather risky to just pull 2 drives to migrate data in-situ.

Any problem and you end up losing everything as RAID-6 missing more than 2 drives is completely lost.

Then you have to add the complication that your hardware RAID is unlikely to let you just pull drives like that.

Otherwise, you are better off just try to make things work with Windows.