Dell H310/LSI 9240-8i with 8TB HDD

Hi,

does any of you have the combination of lsi 9240-8i with 8TB HDD? As described in another thread, I had problems that a new hard drive always showed errors. Yesterday I noticed that the disk is in read only mode. Maybe the disc is really broken, but the smartcheck says everything is ok. So my question is whether the error may come from the controller? Is the first 8 TB hard drive I have on the controller.

Thanks

@johnnie.black

the diagnostic is in this thread

You have already answered me in the thread, but unfortunately it was not apparent from it that there is a problem with the file system.

So what would be the best course of action now? I did a reiserfs check yesterday that told me to do a new check with the --rebuild-tree option. I did that, he also found and corrected a mistake.

Now I feel a little insecure with this disc but as I said the smartcheck says that everything is ok. But i does not want to buy a new disc senseless, it also costs 180 euros.

Thanks

ok thanks, i always had the assumption that all disks must have the same filesystem. But I have now read that a mixed operation is possible, but you can still leave the old disks in reiserfs. Will now empty this disk and format it again with xfs, let's see if it gets better.

may not belong here but now something is completely broken. I tried to move my data from the new hard disk (disk11)  to an older disk (disk9) where there was still space. i did it in the console with the mv command. That worked well with the first files. Then at some point the mv command got stuck as if nothing ever happened. Since the whole server stopped responding, not even to a reboot command, I switched the server off and on again. Then the server started up again, but the old hard drive (disk9) where the files were copied to can no longer be mounted. The server is stuck when mounting this hard drive. Is there anything that i could do ?

6 hours ago, Eisi2005 said:

The server is stuck when mounting this hard drive.

That's rather normal when ReiserFS is trying to recover from a bad shutdown. I remember waiting over an hour on a 2TB drive, I can't even imagine how bad ReiserFS would be on an 8TB.

When getting data off a ReiserFS drive, COPY, never move. Moving causes the filesystem to attempt to delete files on the source, which is painfully slow and can seem to hang the box. Once everything is copied, format the drive. The format takes seconds, deleting that much data from ReiserFS could take hours.

You are seeing up close and personal why it's necessary to get away from ReiserFS, it was bad enough on 2TB drives, it gets much worse the larger you go.

what would the best backup strategy look like for the next hard drive to switch to XFS? If I remember correctly, did unraid always use the old filesystem when changing the hard drive? So when I switched from a 4 GB to an 8 GB, it was so far that I expanded the 4 GB, installed the 8GB and assigned it to the hard disk slot, after which unraid restored the data and everything was running.

What should I do here? After restoring, do I have to back up all data manually, then reformat the new hard drive with XFS and then manually copy the data back up?