VM Management with Pass-Through GPU

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, I didn't see it when I searched.  I've been running Unraid for a couple years, but just started getting into the VM side.  I've predominantly used Hyper-V or ESXI for VMs in the past, so the Unraid side is new to me.  

I currently run my server headless, in a server closet in my basement.  If I pass-through a GPU to accelerate the graphics in a gaming VM or Mac Catalina VM, how do I administer the VM, like a Type 1 Hypervisor (Hyper-V, ESXI), and perform boot functions and other administrative tasks? I am not able to connect a monitor directly to the VM.  

39 minutes ago, Mason736 said:

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, I didn't see it when I searched.  I've been running Unraid for a couple years, but just started getting into the VM side.  I've predominantly used Hyper-V or ESXI for VMs in the past, so the Unraid side is new to me.  

I currently run my server headless, in a server closet in my basement.  If I pass-through a GPU to accelerate the graphics in a gaming VM or Mac Catalina VM, how do I administer the VM, like a Type 1 Hypervisor (Hyper-V, ESXI), and perform boot functions and other administrative tasks? I am not able to connect a monitor directly to the VM.  

Using the Unraid GUI over the network, in a sense similar to IPMI.

1 minute ago, Mason736 said:

Yes, but when you pass the GPU through, without hooking up to a monitor, how to you get to the post screen, enter BIOS, etc...?

Accessing BIOS, Post Screen etc. are pre-boot activities, which would certainly be pre-passthrough.

Once booted, you can't arbitrarily go back to the BIOS screen without a reboot (regardless whether there's a monitor or not, or a GPU or not).

So whether you pass through the GPU or not has no bearing over those activities.

If you are asking about how to access BIOS without a monitor then that's a functionality of the motherboard so you need to check the motherboard manual I guess.

Im sorry, I don't think you're understanding the question.  I am speaking specifically about a VM, not the metal unraid runs on itself.  With Hyper-V, regardless of whether you pass through a GPU, same with V-Sphere, you can access the VM, and have full KVM usage with keyboard and mouse support.

In unraid, if you pass-through a GPU, and don't have a monitor connected to the GPU for the VM, it appears there is no way to obtain a KVM like usage as a Type 1 Hypervisor.  

I've tried virt-manager as well, but when you pass through a GPU, without connecting to a monitor, you can't access the display of the VM until it boots to change the boot order (access Clover for instance on a Catalina VM), or do other administrative tasks.

21 minutes ago, Mason736 said:

Im sorry, I don't think you're understanding the question.  I am speaking specifically about a VM, not the metal unraid runs on itself.  With Hyper-V, regardless of whether you pass through a GPU, same with V-Sphere, you can access the VM, and have full KVM usage with keyboard and mouse support.

In unraid, if you pass-through a GPU, and don't have a monitor connected to the GPU for the VM, it appears there is no way to obtain a KVM like usage as a Type 1 Hypervisor.  

I've tried virt-manager as well, but when you pass through a GPU, without connecting to a monitor, you can't access the display of the VM until it boots to change the boot order (access Clover for instance on a Catalina VM), or do other administrative tasks.

Ok, get it now. The answer is "sort of no".

The VNC display feature would do what you are describing but it doesn't work with a GPU passed through hence "sort of no".

• 2 weeks later...