Docker FQDN

I have paid for unraid. Could please anyone give me an answer why it is impossible to use VM with LInux? Why it crashes anytime during installation? (KVM problem). It is paid product without support? I asked few times without answer how to install LInux in VM and I´m not alone. There i sno solution in here. This is only VM I know which has this problem.

So I have to use Docker for ISP but I must define FQDN. Is it possible to edit Docker file in Unraid to get this? https://github.com/moby/moby/issues/29100

Really don´t know why is someone still deleting this question? Do you want to cover that Unraid is useless for Linux? Maybe you should tell it before someone pay...

Edited by kokonautor
21 minutes ago, kokonautor said:

It is paid product without support?

Free support is from the community on the forum. Most of the people you will encounter here on the forum are just users like yourself, trying to help each other. If you want you can negotiate paid support with limetech.

I don't use VMs since all my needs are taken care of with docker, but I'm sure there are a lot of users successfully using Linux VMs on Unraid.

This is not about support. This is about what they write on the first result of Google search: Unraid OS | Multi-OS and VM ready‎

so I await that Unraid will be able to run common Linux distribution in VM. Nothing more nothing less.

Yes maybe many people use it...maybe many people have aliens at home...maybe, maybe.

I´m just little bit tired. Unraid latest and 6 previous versions. Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, CentOS etc. etc. JUST NOTHING WORKS BECAUSE KVM ALWAYS CRASHES. Tried all possible combination of setting. Nothing.

I asked here under different nickname more than a year ago. No usable answers. And from Unraid developers? Silence.

So as you can see no one is able to help even to people asking YEARS ago as you can see on that Google search link I posted.... so where are the skilled members? Where are developers? Is it just a lie that Unraid is "multiOS". Because it is not. And as I wrote this is a problem of many people, it is not my case only...

4 hours ago, kokonautor said:

Is it just a lie that Unraid is "multiOS".

Not at all. I am currently running debian, mint, pfsense (freebsd based), windows7, windows8, and a couple other distros. Not all at the same time, I only have enough ram for 4 simultaneously, pfsense runs constantly, along with mint and windows7. I boot up the others 1 at a time as I need.

VM's are hardware specific, and the specifics of getting any particular distro running are particular to the motherboard and other hardware in question.

10 hours ago, kokonautor said:

I have paid for unraid. Could please anyone give me an answer why it is impossible to use VM with LInux? Why it crashes anytime during installation? (KVM problem). It is paid product without support? I asked few times without answer how to install LInux in VM and I´m not alone. There i sno solution in here. This is only VM I know which has this problem.

So I have to use Docker for ISP but I must define FQDN. Is it possible to edit Docker file in Unraid to get this? https://github.com/moby/moby/issues/29100

Really don´t know why is someone still deleting this question? Do you want to cover that Unraid is useless for Linux? Maybe you should tell it before someone pay...

I've run various VMs under Unraid and I've never seen an issue (Windows 10, Slackware Linux, Apline Linux, Debian Linux, CentOS, MacOS Mojave and Catalina). Granted I've only started using the Linux and Mac ones a lot more since I upgraded to an i7 from a Pentium (I only have two cores initially) and they are used as test network devices, not HW pass-thru or similar.

I've run crazy network instances on docker and its just usually a mix of arguments you need to pass to the docker run command

and setting the hostname is just adding to the Extra Params

--hostname name.domain

This your great google fu should have found easily as its a very basic docker topic

https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/run/

@ken-ji thank you for help. --hostname name.domain in extra params really runs. BUT all my ispconfig settings are lost now. Seems like docker reset itself to the original state. It nevere happened before aven I did multiple restarts. Now everything is lost.

Is there a chance to get it back and prevent this in the future?

Edited by kokonautor

Normally you can reinstall any docker using the exact same settings as before by using the Previous Apps feature of the Apps page.

Here is how this all works under the hood:

The Add/Edit Container page is just a form for filling out the things that go in the docker run command.

The Apps page just uses the docker templates to fill in the Add Container page.

The Previous Apps feature uses the templates you have already filled in the past, which are stored on flash, to fill in the Add Container page.

Those templates are named after the --name parameter in the docker run (Add Container page).

So, if you haven't overwritten those templates be reusing that name, then you should be able to use the Previous Apps feature to get your docker added again just as it was.

If you want to dig into this some more, those templates you have already filled in are on flash at config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user