Unraid VPN for torrenting?

So i just got a nord VPN account, I want to only use the VPN for my torrent dockers (binhex deluge/qbit), can anyone point me to what I need to do to get this going? I've been playing with my first unraid server build for a few months now, but im still pretty fresh. I just want to mask my torrent traffic without interfering with my plex server and other streaming services on my network or basically anything else other than the torrent client

I see qbit binhex docker settings has some fields for VPN access, but not deluge.

EDIT: Oh i think i just need the binhex deluge vpn docker? Is there anything else I need to do or is there a "best practice" way? 

EDIT 2: maybe I jumped the gun here too quick and should have considered a seedbox instead, learning as I go!

Edited by strayedcables

i ran nord for ages on the delugevpn docker per SI's video. but you should know, nord does not support port forwarding, so while your downloads will work fine, you won't be able to seed/upload with nord. i finally switched to PIA using one of the port forwarding config files, and been working fine ever since.

• Like 1
On 3/30/2020 at 5:46 PM, strayedcables said:

Decided to go the Seedbox route, using ultraseedbox that comes with OpenVPN, but it sounds like i dont really need to set up a VPN at all for seedboxing

that's correct, no vpn necessary. 

which plan did you go with, and what client did you decide to use? i've also got an ultraseedbox and really like it so far.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/25/2020 at 4:33 PM, Cpt. Chaz said:

i finally switched to PIA using one of the port forwarding config files, and been working fine ever since.

Hi there,

I consider to subscribe PIA's VPN offering, mostly for torrenting using binhex's delugevpn docker image. But I'm still hesitating because I didn't see anything on PIA's support portal regarding bypassing NAT settings through openvpn config files.
On their portal, there is stuff mentioned to do so, using their own VPN client, or using a bunch of bash scripts, but nothing about config files.

Can anyone confirm what Cpt. Chaz said above ?

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys just wanted to ask if anyone knows how to setup this with ProtonVPN .

I have followed the Video but i think it is different if you use a other VPN provider.

I have followed the Video but i think there was a lot of changes.

I hope someone can assist

• 5 months later...

hi guys ,

need help with something as its my first post here on forum.

just built my first unraid server and transfer all of my data to it and parity is done too.

now when I tried to install binhex-rtorrentvpn it installs fine and works fine.

but when I route my sonarr and radarr through rtorrentvpn container as spaceinvader suggested in his video above, my problems starts to rise.

first of all when i go to sonarr's console and type "curl ifconfig.io" it shows vpn ip but i cant acess my sonarr webgui.

same with radarr and jackett.

and if i dont route them through rtorrentvpn container they works but i cant add rtorrent as download client.

what am i doing wrong?