Upgrading from 5.0-rc16c

Thank you, I will give it a read.

I know this is a few more questions, but it does pertain to the same title. 

I had a Trojan attack one of my computers and it somehow got at the unraid usb drive. I still have the backup usb drive you supplied many years ago when I bought the file server from you. I booted with that and reconfigured the server and it looks like the data on my data drives is still intact so that is a plus. I will have to do some re-configuring, which is why I'm asking about upgrading since I have to do that anyway.

After I ran a virus removal utility on the unraid usb, it seems to be corrupted, windows does not even recognize it as a usb drive anymore. 

Do I even need a USB that unraid supplies anymore or can I just use your "unraid creator" utility on any usb stick and if so, does the pro version of my licence for version 5.0-rc16c still apply to the new version and how would I obtain that key? 

Edited by piyper
25 minutes ago, piyper said:

when I bought the file server from you

Just wanted to comment on this bit. Almost everyone you will encounter on this forum are fellow Unraid users like yourself, so the pronoun "you" here isn't really appropriate. Limetech is the Unraid company, with very few employees. Free support is provided by the user community on this forum. From time to time Limetech may get involved in some things on the forum, but most posts they will not even read.

Now on to your question.

38 minutes ago, piyper said:

Do I even need a USB that unraid supplies anymore or can I just use your "unraid creator" utility on any usb stick and if so, does the pro version of my licence for version 5.0-rc16c still apply to the new version and how would I obtain that key? 

That backup USB flash drive you have should have a license .key file. The required location for that file going forward is in the config folder, but some older versions of Unraid would use it from the top folder of flash so look there for it also. Make a copy of that file to make sure nothing happens to it during the upgrade.

As long that flash drive isn't very small and it is working well, I would just use it since that license file is associated with it. If you use another, you would have to get your license transferred to that other flash. That isn't difficult and can be done in the webUI of the latest versions of Unraid, but working with what you already have will be simpler, at least until you get the upgrade done.

Sorry, when I said "you" I did mean Limetech. I have been frustrated with this whole ransomware attack and was not thinking clearly of the audience.

My apologies.

Thank you and everyone in this community for the help and the time taken to answer questions like these.