OSX Slow to Write to Unraid

I am seeing EXTREMELY slow transfer speeds over the network between my Mac and Unraid (~1-2 MB/s).

I am INCREDIBLY new to the Unraid world and have equal experience with Linux, so my abilities and interpretation is lower than the average user, but I am willing to work with and learn from everyone.

Here is what I can tell you about my setup:

-My Mac (Sierra) is connected to the network via powerline (TP Link AV2000). The OSX Network Utility application identifies the connection as 1 Gb, which is what the product is advertised as.

-Operating Unraid 6.8.3 (Trial)

-Turbo write and cache are enabled

-Connected via smb

Blackmagic disc speed test shows write speeds of 2.7 MB/s and read speeds of 19 MB/s.

Here is what I have down to trouble shoot it:

-Directly connect to the router bypassing powerline all together --> Unsuccessful

-Switch to nfs protocol --> Unsuccessful

-Operate with and without turbo write and cache

Writing directly to the discs from an external drive or drive attached at the Unraid motherboard as write speeds in the neighborhood of 150 MB/s, so I can tell that the bottleneck is occurring over smb/nfs.

Does anyone have any solutions that I might be able to try? Is this a BIOS issue? Is there something that I need to change there?

Thanks!

Are you sure your network connection to Unraid hasn't been degraded to 100M instead of 1G? That is the usual way ethernet works if one of the wires doesn't have signal for some reason.

You should be able to see what the network speed is on the Dashboard on the left under Interface.

Are you sure your network connection to Unraid hasn't been degraded to 100M instead of 1G? That is the usual way ethernet works if one of the wires doesn't have signal for some reason.

You should be able to see what the network speed is on the Dashboard on the left under Interface.

It is displaying as 1G.

I conducted some iperf3 tests. Here are the results:

Unraid as server; Mac as client:

Connecting to host 10.0.0.135, port 5201
[  4] local 10.0.0.199 port 51914 connected to 10.0.0.135 port 5201
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-1.01   sec  6.81 MBytes  56.8 Mbits/sec                  
[  4]   1.01-2.00   sec  0.00 Bytes  0.00 bits/sec                  
[  4]   2.00-3.01   sec  2.44 MBytes  20.4 Mbits/sec                  
[  4]   3.01-4.01   sec  0.00 Bytes  0.00 bits/sec                  
[  4]   4.01-5.00   sec   611 KBytes  5.03 Mbits/sec                  
[  4]   5.00-6.01   sec  2.06 MBytes  17.2 Mbits/sec                  
[  4]   6.01-7.00   sec  0.00 Bytes  0.00 bits/sec                  
[  4]   7.00-8.01   sec  4.99 MBytes  41.8 Mbits/sec                  
[  4]   8.01-9.01   sec  0.00 Bytes  0.00 bits/sec                  
[  4]   9.01-10.00  sec  2.45 MBytes  20.7 Mbits/sec                  
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  19.3 MBytes  16.2 Mbits/sec                  sender
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  19.0 MBytes  16.0 Mbits/sec

Mac as server; Unraid as client:

Connecting to host 10.0.0.199, port 5201
[  4] local 10.0.0.135 port 44890 connected to 10.0.0.199 port 5201
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Retr  Cwnd
[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec  26.6 MBytes   223 Mbits/sec    0    206 KBytes      
[  4]   1.00-2.00   sec  25.7 MBytes   216 Mbits/sec    0    201 KBytes      
[  4]   2.00-3.00   sec  23.8 MBytes   200 Mbits/sec    0    221 KBytes      
[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec  22.6 MBytes   190 Mbits/sec    0    198 KBytes      
[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec  22.2 MBytes   187 Mbits/sec    0    201 KBytes      
[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec  23.6 MBytes   198 Mbits/sec    0    201 KBytes      
[  4]   6.00-7.00   sec  23.2 MBytes   194 Mbits/sec    0    212 KBytes      
[  4]   7.00-8.00   sec  22.1 MBytes   186 Mbits/sec    0    201 KBytes      
[  4]   8.00-9.00   sec  22.2 MBytes   186 Mbits/sec    0    192 KBytes      
[  4]   9.00-10.00  sec  20.9 MBytes   175 Mbits/sec    0   5.66 KBytes      
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Retr
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec   233 MBytes   195 Mbits/sec    0             sender
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec   230 MBytes   193 Mbits/sec    

From what I am seeing here, there is very obviously an issue communicating between the Mac and Unraid. The transfer the other way is better, but not sure if this is the expected? Average of only 23 MB/s?

Edited by phiko73
2 hours ago, phiko73 said:

via powerline (TP Link AV2000).

this is your problem. even though power line adapters are "rated" or even show as 1gb, they rarely do it. I've put them on a clean line short electrical run (2 sockets on the same breaker in the same room) and never saw more than 20-30MBps. They should never be used as a critical route for connection, nor should be expected to deliver anything more than a crawl.

please detail what your cache disk(s) are, and what else is running on the server.

I use Macos and run 4-500MBps transfers to my server. If you're connecting ethernet cable-router-ethernet cable-server and still getting slow speeds, you may need to look at what smb version you're connecting to the server via. and also consider disabling SMB signing as described here:

27 minutes ago, 1812 said:

this is your problem. even though power line adapters are "rated" or even show as 1gb, they rarely do it. I've put them on a clean line short electrical run (2 sockets on the same breaker in the same room) and never saw more than 20-30MBps. They should never be used as a critical route for connection, nor should be expected to deliver anything more than a crawl.

please detail what your cache disk(s) are, and what else is running on the server.

I use Macos and run 4-500MBps transfers to my server. If you're connecting ethernet cable-router-ethernet cable-server and still getting slow speeds, you may need to look at what smb version you're connecting to the server via. and also consider disabling SMB signing as described here:

My setup is currently:

-Router to switch and Powerline adaptor (part A)

-Switch to Server

-Powerline adaptor (part b) to Mac

I removed the Powerline adaptor from the equation because I thought that this may be the issue. Maybe I will have to do it again and test for speed other than by the built-in Mac transfer estimator.

But why would there be such a huge difference in transfers when I swap the host/ client?

3 hours ago, phiko73 said:

My setup is currently:

-Router to switch and Powerline adaptor (part A)

-Switch to Server

-Powerline adaptor (part b) to Mac

I removed the Powerline adaptor from the equation because I thought that this may be the issue. Maybe I will have to do it again and test for speed other than by the built-in Mac transfer estimator.

But why would there be such a huge difference in transfers when I swap the host/ client?

because poweline adapters are inconsistent and suck. you can't think of it as an even flowing pipe of data with them. its always uneven and can be influenced by interference occurring from outside your house.

for now, I'd just go from Mac to switch to server and work on that. once you have acceptable speeds and are maxing out gigabit (assuming you're writing from an ssd in a Mac to ssd cache in the server and vice versa) then start adding back in other networking components. I'd normally suggest starting by going direct from Mac to server and cut everything out, but that implies you have an extra network port on the server and can setup static ip addresses in the same range on both devices. But thats a little more than basic so it's better to focus on ease of testing first.

2 minutes ago, 1812 said:

because poweline adapters are inconsistent and suck. you can't think of it as an even flowing pipe of data with them. its always uneven and can be influenced by interference occurring from outside your house.

for now, I'd just go from Mac to switch to server and work on that. once you have acceptable speeds and are maxing out gigabit (assuming you're writing from an ssd in a Mac to ssd cache in the server and vice versa) then start adding back in other networking components. I'd normally suggest starting by going direct from Mac to server and cut everything out, but that implies you have an extra network port on the server and can setup static ip addresses in the same range on both devices. But thats a little more than basic so it's better to focus on ease of testing first.

10-4. Thanks for the advice. I certainly feel less "doom and gloom" for my server build haha. I needed a voice of reassurance. lol.