First unRaid build but don’t know what to buy.

Hi everyone,

I am looking for my first UnRAID Server but I have some questions before buying new stuff.

my main usage will be for Streaming/Transcode from JellyFin server (fork of Emby) with 3 devices in the same time, NAS Stockage with sensible data and One or two VM running Linux distro for work. 
Because I would like to have everything working in the same time, I am looking for relatively cheap and 8 core CPU with high passmark score like a Ryzen 1800x. (I found one brand new for 108€).

I already have (from another build but like new) a 550w gold PSU and 32Go of DDR4 (no-ECC) lying around.  
Does ECC Memory is absolutely needed? Do I have to sell for rebuy ecc memory? 
Does 1800x is a good choice or do I have to select another one ? 
Does a NAS OS which can run without ecc and risk free for my files exist ? 

Thanks you for reading !

Edited by DarkShines66

Ok so I can stick with my 32Go non ECC. 
However, if I stock on my unRaid NAS my pictures from a shooting I am not risk free of corrupted file. Does they is a solution for have a non-ECC without risk of corrupted file ? 
My old QNAP server does not have ECC memory, what does that mean ? Does it is risky to use it like a daily backup plan ? 

2 hours ago, DarkShines66 said:

I am looking for relatively cheap and 8 core CPU with high passmark score like a Ryzen 1800x. (I found one brand new for 108€).

Just be aware that the first generation (1xxx series) have a lot of issues with Linux.  There are threads in these forums with recommended BIOS and other tweaks to work around the problems.  If you don't implement those recommended changes, you are almost assured of having instability and server lockups.

ECC RAM support with first generation Ryzen is also very hit or miss.  Don't bother with it if you are going to use a Ryzen 1800x CPU.  I have three unRAID servers; two with ECC RAM and one without.  It is not absolutely necessary.

I have pick my hardware selection, do you think this will be enough good? 

• CPU: Ryzen 2700 - 8 Cores CPU 4.1GhZ - 20MB
  • MB: Aorus GA-B450I WiFi ITX Motherboard
  • RAM: 2x 8Go G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MhZ CL16 DDR4 (Non-ECC) (The one i allready have)
  • GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC Low-Profile Dual Fan
  • PSU: SilverStone SFX SST-SX500 Rev 2.0 (80+ Gold)
  • Case: Silverstone SST-DS380 
    Total: 930€

Another question, I was searching for a ITX motherboard with at least 2.5gbe Ethernet or more and they seems not exist ATM. 
Does it’s possible to support a 2.5gbe LAN Adaptater or more over the USB-C port ? 

Edited by DarkShines66

I wouldn't build in the itx form factor, it's just too limiting. Rare to find mITX boards with more than 4 SATA and you will likely need a GPU to get it to boot which ties up your expansion slot.

Also the DS380 isn't well ventilated. Probably fine with 4TB drives but 8TB run a fair bit warmer.

Something like a node 804 with mATX board would give you a lot more options for mainboard.

The GTX 1650 super is a lot faster for around $10-20.

Edited by Decto
5 hours ago, DarkShines66 said:
  • Case: Silverstone SST-DS380 

That case has a design flaw causing practically zero cooling over the HDD.

There are ways to mod it, some as janky as a strategically placed piece of cardboard, but make sure you google what you are getting into before buying.

You might want to consider the Fractal Design Node 304 if you want an ITX build.

Edited by testdasi

I live in a small apartment it is why I look for a small factor case but I don’t want to kil my hard drive so I will look for a Node 304. I was thinking about a Enthoo 719 but I was unable to find the Evolve X or the Power Splitter in France because they are rare and overpriced here. 

i will consider a Super for the GPU but I´m not sure to need the extra power of a more powerful Gpu. 
I have found Sata expansion card over m2 port it’s why I was okay with the limitation of 4 Sata ports on the motherboard.

Edited by DarkShines66
1 hour ago, DarkShines66 said:

I live in a small apartment it is why I look for a small factor case but I don’t want to kil my hard drive so I will look for a Node 304. I was thinking about a Enthoo 719 but I was unable to find the Evolve X or the Power Splitter in France because they are rare and overpriced here. 

i will consider a Super for the GPU but I´m not sure to need the extra power of a more powerful Gpu. 
I have found Sata expansion card over m2 port it’s why I was okay with the limitation of 4 Sata ports on the motherboard.

Try to avoid needing more SATA controllers. Chipset SATA tends to be the most reliable and compatible.

Another thing you might want to consider is to go Intel due to the iGPU and availability of ITX motherboards.

For example, something that would really well in the Node 304 is the ASRock Rack C236 WSI with 8 SATA ports (6 3.5" HDD + 2 more for 2.5" SSD that can be "mounted" with velcro or a PCIe -> 2.5" mount adapter).

Ok, so let's go for a Micro ATX. 
I clearly don't want go to blue team because cost per core are too high for me.
iGPU is a good idea but isn't it a little bit weak for 4K H265 10bits transcoding?
I have take a look on the Node 304 but, you cannot add hotswap in the 5.25 Bay and it's Mini ITX so they are no 6 SATA AMD Motherboard available now..

I will consider a Micro ATX with AMD CPU, which smallest case will fit with it ?

Edited by DarkShines66