** VIDEO GUIDE How to Start & Stop VMs (that use passthrough) on Unraid Servers with only 1 GPU **

SpaceInvaderOne

Swapping from one VM (with GPU passthrough) to another on a server with only 1 gpu, we normally shutdown the vm and use another computer to loginto the webUI and start up another VM.

If you dont have another computer or just dont want to have to grab your laptop etc each time you want to jump onto another VM. We can use a script to do it all from the VM you are using.

Awesome video as always. There's been some thoughtful contributions added to the script in your Reddit post, allowing the running VM to automatically shut down (gracefully) and reboot to the targeted VM.

My main question doesn't pertain to the actual video topic, but I was curious how you're able to passthrough a Nvidia Pascal card (gtx 1080ti) successfully to Catalina? I've been stuck on High Sierra for far too long while waiting for the release of "big Navi".

EDIT: For those that come across this post in the future- Spaceinvaderone replied to someone asking the same question on his Patreon page. 

Unfortunately still no drivers for Nvidia GPUs from Mojave onwards. When making the video I removed my RX570 so i only had one GPU in the system. My Catalina uses the RX570. After removing the 570 I just temporarily pointed the macOS vdisk to a high sierra vdisk and used the 1080ti but didnt change the title of the vm. After making the video I put back the rx570 and repointed the vm back to the Catalina vdisk. Sorry that this has caused you to wonder if Nvidia would work in Catalina.

Edited by Kudagra
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I've written a script that improves on this idea by automating shutdown and iterating over a given list of VMs. If anyone wants it, it's free to use at will: https://github.com/rcortese/unraid-scripts-collection (it's the only script on this repo as of now "scripts/alternate_vms.sh". Maybe later there will be more.)

Right now I've created a tab that executes it as instructed by @SpaceInvaderOne, and it works great from within or without the VM. No need to manually do anything other than start it.