Migrating from Synology DSM to Unraid

Hi guys!

At this moment i'm facing a lot of issues regarding speed and access data on my Xpenology server, already tested Unraid on the same hardware and it works fine, i'm just trying to figure out the best way to move data from the old DSM server to Unraid.

On DSM i have a single volume SHR ext4 made out of 2x 4tb. and 1x 2tb. drives, i also have 3x 3tb. unused drives which i plan to be the ones use for unraid setup.

- Since i'm going to use the same hardware on the new setup anyone knows if there is a way to copy data from the DSM volume drives to the unraid array by just plug in all drives together? 

- Another workaround could be setting up the Unraid server with the unused drives, move the DSM drives to my main computer and boot from the DSM loader and copy all data to the Unraid server.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated :)

Thanks and keep safe!

Edited by surferjsmc

I assume "DSM" and "SHR" is Disk Station Manager and Synology Hybrid RAID.

In which case, I don't think there's any straight-forward ways to mount the SHR volume on Unraid directly.

Xpenology supports btrfs so if I were you, I would boot Unraid, change default filesystem to btrfs (in Settings) then create an array out of 2x 3TB (no parity for now) and format them.

Then boot back to Xpenology, create single volumes (i.e. no RAID / JBOD) out of EACH individual 2x 3TB (assuming there's no funky thing behind the scene preventing using btrfs here) and then do the copy from Xpenology to these individual 3TB volumes. Make sure you verify that the copy is done correctly.

Then boot back to Unraid, you should now have array with data. Reverify the data!

None of the steps are data destructive (even the format is done on the 2x 3TB which you mentioned are unused, thus no data to destroy) so your data should be safe. I would do and redo data verification very carefully though before permanently switch.

• 10 months later...
On 3/26/2020 at 5:52 PM, surferjsmc said:

Oh ok that's nice, i'll try your solution although i believe DSM is going to format the disks again when the volume is created even though they are btrfs but this is fast and easy to do so i will let you know if it works.

Thanks!

Hi, facing to the same goal, did it work ? 

Many thanks

Hi there. 

Ext4 and btrfs basic volume failed from mounting in unraid. It's not a raid but UD see it as linux raid. 

The best way, that worked like a charm for me, is to buy a usb adapter with power supply, format a drive in ext4 in synology, then copy files to it. 

Unraid mounts it with no issue and files can be migrated to the array with krusader by example. 

It is a long work but that's the way. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 5:44 PM, LittleLama said:

Hi there. 

Ext4 and btrfs basic volume failed from mounting in unraid. It's not a raid but UD see it as linux raid. 

The best way, that worked like a charm for me, is to buy a usb adapter with power supply, format a drive in ext4 in synology, then copy files to it. 

Unraid mounts it with no issue and files can be migrated to the array with krusader by example. 

It is a long work but that's the way. 

I can confirm this worked for me as well.
On synology i mount the drive with USB 3 on Unraid i mount it with internal sate tho i had to mount/unmount some times due to a little drive and a lot of data this is easy and work :)

• 4 months later...

Hi guys!

Here is some background, my Synology has 4 disks, SHR-2, 10 TB each. I want to transfer all 4 disks to unraid. Was wondering what's the best way to do that without buying any additional disks. The total data is 9 TB, would fit in a single 10 TB disk.

I am thinking

1. Remove 1 disk from Synology, shouldn't be a problem for SHR-2. Make it into an unraid data disk. Copy the data from Synology > External hard disk > Unraid data disk

2. Remove 2nd disk from Synology, make it into a unraid parity disk

However, the risk in this approach is that now, my Synology has 2 disks (0 backup), my Unraid has 2 disks (1 data, 1 parity building). I think the parity check would take a few days, in this timeframe, both server have 0 backup, if any 1 of the 2 disks failed, I will lose the data. Perhaps I can poweroff Synology with 2 disks, so that the chance of disk dying is lower?

Any suggestions?

Edited by shawnngtq

As you can't make a disk full of data become an unraid disk.

Use the first disk to be the data transporter.
The second to be the unraid member one.
Transfer disk 3 to disk 2 with disk 1.
Empty disk 1
Transfer disk 4 to disk 1

Flush synology disks
Danger zone : data are no more redundant

Integrate disk 3 to unraid data array (data are erased)
Move disk 1 data to unraid array
Integrate disk 1 into parity
Let parity build
Integrate disk 4 into parity
Let parity build

You are the only one that can determine if the risk is acceptable. If it is not, backup on the cloud or buy another drive or usb drive.