surferjsmc

Migrating from Synology DSM to Unraid

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi guys!

At this moment i'm facing a lot of issues regarding speed and access data on my Xpenology server, already tested Unraid on the same hardware and it works fine, i'm just trying to figure out the best way to move data from the old DSM server to Unraid.

On DSM i have a single volume SHR ext4 made out of 2x 4tb. and 1x 2tb. drives, i also have 3x 3tb. unused drives which i plan to be the ones use for unraid setup.

- Since i'm going to use the same hardware on the new setup anyone knows if there is a way to copy data from the DSM volume drives to the unraid array by just plug in all drives together? 

- Another workaround could be setting up the Unraid server with the unused drives, move the DSM drives to my main computer and boot from the DSM loader and copy all data to the Unraid server.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated :)

Thanks and keep safe!

Edited by surferjsmc

I assume "DSM" and "SHR" is Disk Station Manager and Synology Hybrid RAID.

In which case, I don't think there's any straight-forward ways to mount the SHR volume on Unraid directly.

Xpenology supports btrfs so if I were you, I would boot Unraid, change default filesystem to btrfs (in Settings) then create an array out of 2x 3TB (no parity for now) and format them.

Then boot back to Xpenology, create single volumes (i.e. no RAID / JBOD) out of EACH individual 2x 3TB (assuming there's no funky thing behind the scene preventing using btrfs here) and then do the copy from Xpenology to these individual 3TB volumes. Make sure you verify that the copy is done correctly.

Then boot back to Unraid, you should now have array with data. Reverify the data!

None of the steps are data destructive (even the format is done on the 2x 3TB which you mentioned are unused, thus no data to destroy) so your data should be safe. I would do and redo data verification very carefully though before permanently switch.

Oh ok that's nice, i'll try your solution although i believe DSM is going to format the disks again when the volume is created even though they are btrfs but this is fast and easy to do so i will let you know if it works.

Thanks!