4224 with new fan plate and 120mm fans... how the heck do the cables all fit!

madpoet

Ok, so I got the 120mm fan plate and some 120mm fans.  Here's the issue... how do all the cables actually fit!  I put the fans in the same way as the ones I took out, which puts them right up against the power plugs and SATA cables.  No way I can turn this on without it chewing up wires.  Should I put the fans on the other side of the plate instead so it is now between the fans and the wires?  I've got plenty of room on that side, but I was trying to duplicate the old fan plate.  Getting tired of taking it in and out ;)

Ok, so I got the 120mm fan plate and some 120mm fans.  Here's the issue... how do all the cables actually fit!  I put the fans in the same way as the ones I took out, which puts them right up against the power plugs and SATA cables.  No way I can turn this on without it chewing up wires.  Should I put the fans on the other side of the plate instead so it is now between the fans and the wires?  I've got plenty of room on that side, but I was trying to duplicate the old fan plate.  Getting tired of taking it in and out ;)

Yes, put them on the other side.

I am working on a customers build and he wanted the 120mm fan plate also.  I found out about this issue and have the fans on the other side to get them out of the way of the cables.

I also found that the squeeze was too tight and the fans could chew cables. I also found with the SAS connector on the backplanes being in the middle that there were big 90 degree bends to get them to plug in so I went back to the 80mm fans. I can live with the noise but may try them switched around later.

Josh

I also found that the squeeze was too tight and the fans could chew cables. I also found with the SAS connector on the backplanes being in the middle that there were big 90 degree bends to get them to plug in so I went back to the 80mm fans. I can live with the noise but may try them switched around later.

Josh

The reason why I stayed with the 80mm fans.  Josh, you can rewire the fan plug to the 3 wire and plug in it into the chassis fan 2 on the mobo.  Change the bios setting on the chassis fan to standard mode.  I did this on my norco 4220 case along with the rear (switched it out with Arctic 80mm pwm's) and the system is pretty quiet.  My desktop which is next to the norco case is ALOT noisier than the norco.  Also, the system runs quite cool... cpu temp at 26-27 degrees, mobo temps at 23 degrees and HD temps (ones that are plugged into the SASLP) shows 22-24 degrees.

JB

I've got my 4 middles fans plugged into the 4 pin PSU plugs. The noise doesn't bother me at the moment. I wanted to go with the 3 120mm fans (arctic cooling with PST PWM) but my mobo drivers for fan control aren't supported by unRAID at the moment. That way I could spin the fans down when all the hdds are off. (maybe 20hours a day)

I'll keep the 3 pin mod in mind but I'm a bit too lazy to be opening the case again.

Josh

Archived