[GUIDE] Hive OS VM in 10 minutes

zeus83

Hi! During the setup process, I stopped the motherboard bio in this state. And there is no graphics card priority item, in the case of unraid, to force unraid to use the kernel graphics card to start, exclude the discrete graphics card? How about continuing to use independent logos in VMs and containers?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2020 at 6:31 AM, zeus83 said:

Hi guys, I've recently setup a Hive OS VM and ecountered a couple of issues during this. So I've decided to prepare a quick start guide. This guide won't explain you what Hive OS is and used for, neither it will show how to setup your Hive OS account and crypto wallets. There is a lot of guides on this on the web.

[Prerequisite]

The only prerequisite is you have to setup your Hive OS account and properly configure at least one farm and worker. You can go through the guide here or just google any appropriate guide you like.

[Instructions]

1. Download the latest Hive OS GPU image here . You should then unpack it and put into your isos share temporarily. For me it was a 7Gb file named [email protected] .
  2. Normally this image file is supposed to be written to the usb stick, but we instead just use it as our VM disk. You need to copy the image to your VM share.
  3. cd /mnt/disks/vm/
    mkdir hiveos
    cp /mnt/user/isos/[email protected] hiveos/vdisk1.img

4. Now let's create a VM itself which will use our Hive OS disk image. Use Ubuntu template because Hive OS is ubuntu based distro.
  5. There are however a couple of issues we must to address. First I suggest to leave OVMF bios as default. If the VM won't boot then try the same steps with SeaBIOS. I wasn't able to boot some cards with default OVMF bios. Second it seems that Hive OS doesn't contain the Virtio drivers normally found in Ubuntu and most Linux distros. I could overcome this with setting Primary vdisk bus to SATA . As for CPU and memory don't assign much resources to it. 
  6. hiveos-vm.thumb.PNG.cabdd3be4c98f825ed21980fa35d1f83.PNG
  7. You have to pass your dedicated GPU as well because Hive OS isn't much useful without it. 
  8. hiveos-vm2.PNG.7221a1b96084b1c1bac3b2d2cf7f567a.PNG
  9. Switch to XML view to change the network adapter, because as I told before there are no Virtio drivers preinstalled in Hive OS. I chose rtl8139 and it worked fine for me. You must remember that whenever you edit anything using the form view the XML part would reset and you'll have to add that part once again.
  10. hiveos-vm3.PNG.8fc44cd0a60943c1ada0e46ef5f58e9c.PNG
  11. Now we are ready to start our VM. Once VM is started properly you need to figure out it's assigned IP. I use my router admin page for that.
  12. Then we need connect to our VM and finish the worker configuration. Since we passed through GPU and didn't configure the VNC we'll use Hive OS integrated shellinabox. Open https://YOUR_IP:4200/ in a browser. Default login is user password 1 . If everything is ok you'll see a welcoming screen like this.
  13. hiveos-vm4.PNG.fe9cc2d23b3b3d37d77533d37125e05f.PNG
  14. Your GPU must be present and identified correctly.
  15. It's now time to finish our Hive OS worker setup. Type firstrun and follow the instructions to enter your worker RIG_ID and RIG_PASSWORD .
  16. hiveos-vm5.PNG.89c0902d80c46beb8336dbd5ddc8d6c3.PNG
  17. You'd better reboot your VM after configuration finished.
  18. After completion you might check your Hive dashboard to see that the worker is online and assign a flight sheet to it.
  19. hiveos-vm6.thumb.PNG.7e961a3cd4c00c2978918f6f158cad94.PNG

[FAQ]

todo

Question for you. is there a reason you navigated in a browser to the url to get to the web console of the hive OS instead of plugging in a monitor into the passthrough GPU? Haven't followed this guide but was going to give it a shot here shortly. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hmm.

I'm running 6.10.2.

Followed this guide and comments, but when starting VM, red arrows just goes circles.
If i browse around Unraid GUI, works fine, until i click VM tab, then GUI dies totally. Don't respond after that for anything in GUI.

I can ping server fine, can log on ssh, but for example, reboot command does not work, says rebooting now but does not really.

Ideas?

Edited by jesi
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 3:32 PM, jesi said:

Hmm.

I'm running 6.10.2.

Followed this guide and comments, but when starting VM, red arrows just goes circles.
If i browse around Unraid GUI, works fine, until i click VM tab, then GUI dies totally. Don't respond after that for anything in GUI.

I can ping server fine, can log on ssh, but for example, reboot command does not work, says rebooting now but does not really.

Ideas?

If that happens it's normally because unraid had no cpu time available, when setting up any vm (or docker image or anything else) always leave at least core 0 free for unraid to use. (if your moving lots of files about you might need a few cores.

...Once the CPU goes down it might come back but remember that it's not fixed and sooner or later expect a hard lock up. (i've even corrupted unraid USB's like this so i have learned the hard way) 

(though I've also had an issue where the system hard locks because I'd hooked up to many gpu's for that mobo's bios (gigabyte b550) (that board won't run 4 gpu's even on bare metal and 2 is the max in a vm on that system) 

Edited by mdrodge
  • 1 month later...
On 3/27/2020 at 6:31 AM, zeus83 said:

Second it seems that Hive OS doesn't contain the Virtio drivers normally found in Ubuntu and most Linux distros. I could overcome this with setting Primary vdisk bus to SATA

I had to change the "Network Device" in the VE Hardware section from "Virtio (paravirutalized)" to "Intel 1000", also in the dropbox ...and voila, network adapter drivers added.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I know this is a old post, but I tried this today and it working and also not working.

If I put the onboard GPU, VM start and I can acces HiveOS.

If I add or simply switch to a dedicated GPU, it won't start. GPU is/are Radeon 6600XT.

Any idea, i'm new to VM so I have not a lot of knowledge on this.