OSX tags getting stripped

Hi all,

Im about to migrate all my work to a brand new Unraid setup, coming from Synology.

The thing holding my back is that whenever I copy or move a file around my server with a Mac OSX tag ("label") it gets stripped. I've also tried to copy tagged files through NFS and SMB from my Synology and Mac - all files gets stripped of their tags. Seems like I can maintain the tags if I just leave them on the share on Unraid - but im guessing I will run into trouble when using cache drives, and im loosing the flexibility to move things around with Krusader and stuff.

Does this anything to do with missing xattr?

Are there any ways to get around this?

Edited by tarzan

When I add macOS "labels/tags" on a file or directory from a Unraid share via samba protocol it adds EA data:

root@Tower:/mnt/user/testshare# getfattr test_folder/
# file: test_folder/
user.DOSATTRIB
user.DosStream.com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags:$DATA
user.org.netatalk.Metadata

Additionally, 'getfattr' will show the values, along with the keys above, with the -d argument.

I did another test involving a cache pool setup:

1. Created another share named 'cache-first' with Cache mode set to 'only.'
  2. Browsed to the 'cache-first' share from a mac, created a new folder, and then applied macOS "tags" to it.
  3. Verified those EAs were present using 'getfattr folder-name'.
  4. Change 'cache-first' Share's Cache mode to 'yes'.
  5. Run the mover
  6. Verified 'cache-first' share exists on the array now, and the EAs are still present. My mac again shows the correct "tags" I added previously.

I can also copy/move files or folders between my mac and Unraid, in either direction, and the "tags" persist.

macOS version 10.14.6

Unraid version 6.8.3

Two BTRFS formatted SSDs in my Cache Pool

Array disks all XFS-luks

If you're working from a terminal, using 'cp,' 'rsync,' or 'scp' for example, ensure you provide any arguments you may need to preserve xattr.

Hello Schultz, and thanks for the reply.

Ive tried to copy a file on my unraid with cp -a --preserve=xattr source destination - but the tags will still be stripped. Do I need to install anything specific to make this work?

Edited by tarzan