Start array without an array

I've been using unRAID on a off for a while. I always drop it because of unexplained issues for which I get no support. Last time I managed to figure out, it was the spanning tree protocol (STP/RSTP/MSTP) that for some reason made unRAID error out resulting in a frozen system, not even a reboot. It occured even if I moved unrAID to a whole new system with completely different hardware.

Now again there's something bothering unRAID causing it to flip out but I can tailor everything to unRAID, there are hypervisors and other servers that need to share the network. The storage server runs stable now on Windows Server Storage Spaces but I would like to keep using the Docker appliance in unRAID. I got a system for it but I don't want to use a disk array because the Docker apps I was using before, worked on unassigned devices. the only storage they needed was for the apps themselves (and Docker).

The array must be started for Docker to work.

Is there a away to "start the array" with no array? Maybe use a big flash drive for Docker or --since the systems I have can boot from iSCSI-- trick unRAID into booting from iSCSI, would that work? Will unRAID be able to tell the difference?

Thanks.