Requesting OBS for streaming.

Hi,

I see your requesting to stream using OBS, the reason I am jumping on this thread, I am also trying the same project, so far I have found a docker called nginx rtmp docker by dvdgiessen, unfortunately I have not been able to get it working after multiple tries, as it needs the skills of setting up in the docker manually, by mapping volumes and containers, I am new to Unraid and I am trying to get out of my comfort zone by having a go, not very successfully.

The relevance of the RTMP is it allows the transfer of data by encoding from and to OBS, with the bandwidth permitting, multiple live streams can be sent from your own server, bypassing the big brands or not, if your trying to stream to multiple platforms this is catered for to.

I wish to highlight this has been done on a raspberry pie according to other users so your spec is ample, but they were doing it via VM using an Ubuntu Distro or directly loaded,  with many hours of reading I can not find a descent walk through to get this running on Unraid,  I can run up a VM, but I would much prefer to get this done on Unraid reducing further setting up.

Below is my setup,  if you can help I would very much appreciated it

image.thumb.png.4c2eefd810e9e14508ff5cc17400284c.png

Edited by Danietech
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

...here is a nice one, based on ubuntu 18.04. -> https://github.com/bandi13/docker-obs

It is running fluxbox, so very minimal, but obs-studio is installed from ubuntu PPA.

The latest image hasn't been updated/rebuild by its maintainer for a while, but an "apt update" and "apt upgrade" will push your container to the latest version of obs (25.0.8) at this point in time. However, the PPA binaries are without "Browser source" build in.

If you want to keep the latest version/state do not forget to commit changes from the container to the image or build the image from scatch, using te dockerfile from the github repo.

An alternative is to build obs manually...instructions are in the obs wiki -> https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/wiki/install-instructions#linux-build-directions

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 6:50 PM, Ford Prefect said:

...here is a nice one, based on ubuntu 18.04. -> https://github.com/bandi13/docker-obs

It is running fluxbox, so very minimal, but obs-studio is installed from ubuntu PPA.

The latest image hasn't been updated/rebuild by its maintainer for a while, but an "apt update" and "apt upgrade" will push your container to the latest version of obs (25.0.8) at this point in time. However, the PPA binaries are without "Browser source" build in.

If you want to keep the latest version/state do not forget to commit changes from the container to the image or build the image from scatch, using te dockerfile from the github repo.

An alternative is to build obs manually...instructions are in the obs wiki -> https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/wiki/install-instructions#linux-build-directions

Hey there person.

I tried setting this up last night and could not get it to launch.

I set the following:

• Port for VNC as well as the http://[IP]:[PORT]
  • Path /root/.config/obs-studio /mnt/cache/appdate/obs-studio

Not sure what else needs to be created or set.  It would be really cool if you have more insight on how to get it to work inside of Unraid.  For people like me looking at all the build instructions, how to run/start, etc are not helpful for me.  I haven't found any container that lists what if any config file needs to help the container run.  I'm not a Docker guru so I'm not entirely sure when I need to use a Variable/Path/Port/etc.  I'm just a total scrub.  Anyway, if you have more information on what needs to be done in Unraid, that would be very helpful.

6 hours ago, Ford Prefect said:

...the template still works for me with just these parameters entered.

You might want to add an extra path later, in order to permanently store obs recordings outside of the container but this should be straightforward.

Okay well, I got it working.  Unfortunately none of the settings get retained if the server reboots or if I make changes to the docker and it restarts.  Super frustrating.

However, I managed to update the Ubuntu, obs, and install other tools for some troubleshooting.  After a few hours, I could not figure out why the NDI plugin does not pick up any NDI streams.  I can ping the docker, it can ping my gaming rig, but it cannot see any NDI stream.  Thoughts or experience?

Edited by spx404

Tisch is mit frustrating, as it works that way by design. Consider the container (running docker) like a ramdisk. In order to keep the changes, you need to manually persist/commit these to the image.
Or use a real VM instead.

RE NDI, I cannot say...not using obs besides some tests with browser source.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk

It will depend on what resources you need, like access to the Graphics Card, in order to use all features of an application, i.e obs.

A docker definitely is much leaner.

unRAID does not provide a complete toolset for managing the lifecycle of a docker. It is more consumer oriented in this respect (which is good in its own right)

When you made changes inside a container, commiting these back into an image is not part of the UI.

You could use the CLI/Terminal though...or try other tools, like portainer.io (which is quite a nice docker management gui, running in a docker itself).

The concept of image and container and working with these is something you need to get your head around, then.