Print Server install

33 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

What are you trying to do?  Where is the printer?  What applications do you want to print from?

Trying to install a print server, printer is a HP CP1025 colour laser jet usb only connected to USB port on server. I want to print from anything that can print, but currently use Windows 10, Ubuntu 18.04, MacOS High Sierra and iOS. 

I tried to get various dockers to work and one of them worked everywhere inc AirPrint, but could not get it to persist it’s settings after reboot! I posted this in the cups docker thread and got no answer, so thought I’d try again here.

So I assume that you purchased the bottom of the line when you got the HP CP1025 and it has absolutely no networking capability.  (My advice would never do this again unless you want a printer that is only going to used by the computer to which it is connected.) 

To be brutally honest, there is virtually no demand for there to be any printer server capability for Unraid. Setting up and using a networked-ready printer is so much easier.  The printer manufacturers have provided all the required drivers for virtually any device that connect to a network can print to their printer connected to that network.   

You might be better server by looking for a dedicated printer server.  Here is a link to a search that I did on Amazon for such devices:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=printer+server&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I know that a few years ago such devices were quite commonly used before built-in networking became virtually a feature in every printer.  (Expect those printers that are cheaper than the replacement toner/ink cartridges.)  Personally, I prefer to use Ethernet over Wireless but to each his own on that point. 

4 hours ago, MothyTim said:

Trying to install a print server, printer is a HP CP1025 colour laser jet usb only connected to USB port on server. I want to print from anything that can print, but currently use Windows 10, Ubuntu 18.04, MacOS High Sierra and iOS. 

I tried to get various dockers to work and one of them worked everywhere inc AirPrint, but could not get it to persist it’s settings after reboot! I posted this in the cups docker thread and got no answer, so thought I’d try again here.

I think that particular project has been abandoned and removed from unraid CA.

Someone has been more successful (details in thread below) with another version (no CA template) that you can install via the extended dockerhub search (might need to be enabled?) in CA.

8 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

So I assume that you purchased the bottom of the line when you got the HP CP1025 and it has absolutely no networking capability.  (My advice would never do this again unless you want a printer that is only going to used by the computer to which it is connected.) 

To be brutally honest, there is virtually no demand for there to be any printer server capability for Unraid. Setting up and using a networked-ready printer is so much easier.  The printer manufacturers have provided all the required drivers for virtually any device that connect to a network can print to their printer connected to that network.   

You might be better server by looking for a dedicated printer server.  Here is a link to a search that I did on Amazon for such devices:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=printer+server&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I know that a few years ago such devices were quite commonly used before built-in networking became virtually a feature in every printer.  (Expect those printers that are cheaper than the replacement toner/ink cartridges.)  Personally, I prefer to use Ethernet over Wireless but to each his own on that point. 

It was my Dad's he bought it probably 6 years ago and has replaced it with something better, I remember moaning at him at the time for not buying the network version! I was just hoping to network it without buy anything extra, I will probably plug it into my iMac and install CUPS on that as it seems Unraid can't do it. It's a bit frustrating all the same as I can make it work with olbat/cups docker just cant work out how to persist the dockers settings through a reboot!

Thanks for your help and stay safe in these troubling times!

7 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

I think that particular project has been abandoned and removed from unraid CA.

Someone has been more successful (details in thread below) with another version (no CA template) that you can install via the extended dockerhub search (might need to be enabled?) in CA.

Hi, yes it has been, it was only removed a short while ago and there were a few people trying to do the same as me. Yes I tried the jstrader docker and could make it work but had the same issue as the olbat docker, that it didn't persist settings after reboot. It's probably my lack of docker knowledge! I tried mapping folders but then the docker wouldn't start!

cheers,

Tim

• 1 year later...
On 3/28/2020 at 10:07 PM, Frank1940 said:

To be brutally honest, there is virtually no demand for there to be any printer server capability for Unraid.

Aside from the post you replied to, and my google search to try to find out how to do this that found your unhelpful comment.

It's not a big ask to get CUPS on unraid, I have a laserjet 3 that will outlive my grandchildren and can be refilled for pennies on the dollar and eliminating a network drop to the jetdirect server would be optimal.

1 hour ago, Vyressi said:

It's not a big ask to get CUPS on unraid, I have a laserjet 3 that will outlive my grandchildren and can be refilled for pennies on the dollar and eliminating a network drop to the jetdirect server would be optimal.

You could install a Linux VM that either has CUPS installed or install CUPS on it.  you can start by reading this part of the manual:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/VM_Management

If you have questions about how to do this, there is a section of the forum devoted to the topics of VM's...

https://forums.unraid.net/forum/45-vm-templates/ 

• 1 year later...