Am i right? that once to set up Unraid into my pc, then the Pc will become to a host machine, and i have to buy another desktop.

sorry my question might be silly enough, but i am wondering that once i had set up my desktop as the host machine for Unraid, do i have to buy another Pc to use it?, because i tried to use Unraid GUI, and build VM for win10, it just not working smoothly as my original win10 system, vm was lag really bad. 

i build that PC by myself, and i don't know if i need to upgrade my PC to better operating VM on Unraid. i am worry about that the lag will still a problem after i upgrade my PC.  i am considering upgrade my hard drive to SSD. i guess that problem might be that i do not have cache drive or a slow hard drive

And i have some information to show what i got on my PC:

processor: AMD RYZEN 5 2600 SIX-CORE PROCESSOR 3.40 GHz(AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler - YD2600BBAFBOX)

Installed memory(RAM): 32 GB(Patriot Viper Elite 16GB 2400MHz CL 16 Single Channel DDR4 PC Memory Module Grey)*2

hard drive : 1 T (Only one hard drive installed, and it is not SSD installed)  WD Blue 1TB PC Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD10EZEX

matherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming Motherboard (ATX) AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 B450

Graphic card: i for get the detail, but i can double check if nessasary, i spend around 90 dollar for it.

I don't think it's possible for you to run Unraid and "reboot my system back to regular win10" with a single drive in the system.

Unraid requires to format the drive to xfs / btrfs which Windows doesn't support.

How did you do it? Details are important.

Next thing, if you don't have an SSD in your system, get one regardless if you are running bare-metal Windows or not. ("bare-metal" = what you called "regular win10"). An SSD provides the most obvious improvement to perceived speed, in most cases even more obvious than a CPU / RAM upgrade.

I'm quite surprised actually that anyone would build a Ryzen PC without an SSD.

Tips: avoid QLC and DRAM-less SSD. They are cheap but in some cases can be even slower than a good HDD.

Now back to your question. With a VM set up, you don't actually need another desktop. For example, my workstation VM is on my Unraid server and its performance is 90% of bare-metal.

Almost everything has a tutorial now on Youtube (look for SpaceInvader One channel) but even with such step-by-step tutorials, it does help to have an idea of what you are doing. So keep that in mind and watch those tutorials (preferably all of them) to see if you think it's something you can do.

And last but not least, always remember a VM will never be 100% bare-metal.

• Like 1