Cant read config ... partly

Dear Community.

I am sorry I am a noob and have noob problems. The server crashed on me today during a file transfer to my VM.

I dont know what happened, but I am getting the following errors in the syslog now:

root: cp: cannot create regular file '/boot/config': Input/output error

As a result. My Ubuntu VM wont boot now, because it waits for some data from cache. the cache can find presumably the share config. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

image.thumb.png.fbc573d638186b2d4dc95213fb06801e.png

Edit:

Moreover: The Move function to load data of the cache does not work as well... Totally clueles why..

Edited by Radislav
cache problem
1 minute ago, Radislav said:

Dear Community.

I am sorry I am a noob and have noob problems. The server crashed on me today during a file transfer to my VM.

I dont know what happened, but I am getting the following errors in the syslog now:

root: cp: cannot create regular file '/boot/config': Input/output error

As a result. My Ubuntu VM wont boot now, because it waits for some data from cache. the cache can find presumably the share config. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

That rounds like a problem with the flash drive (as that is what is mounted at /boot).   It may have dropped offline, been corrupted,  or something like that.   We would need the system diagnostics zip file to be able to confirm that.

I would suggest putting the flash drive into a PC/Mac and running a check on its contents.

thank you. I tried that and all the files seem to be there.. before i mount the array I can even browse the specific location in the terminal and i see the files there. When i mount the array the boot folder turns to be empty

image.thumb.png.fa3416d9eb02794609393199eb94e3a4.png
Edit:

I have checked as you have requested as well. the files are there 🙂

Edited by Radislav
added info

The presence of the FSCK type files indicates you have had corruption and the contents must be treated with an element of suspicion. The fact it seems to drop offline on starting the array would lend some credence to that.

If the /boot folder is ever empty then you can expect Unraid to start misbehaving as all configuration information is kept under /boot/config.   As was mentioned the system diagnostics zip file would be required to give any meaningful feedback on the cause.

I would suggest that you make a backup of the flash drive (in particular the config folder and all its contents) with the aim of recreating it as a fresh install and then copying the config folder back to get all current settings restored.

tower-syslog-20200329-1615.zip

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The presence of the FSCK type files indicates you have had corruption and the contents must be treated with an element of suspicion. The fact it seems to drop offline on starting the array would lend some credence to that.

If the /boot folder is ever empty then you can expect Unraid to start misbehaving as all configuration information is kept under /boot/config.   As was mentioned the system diagnostics zip file would be required to give any meaningful feedback on the cause.

I would suggest that you make a backup of the flash drive (in particular the config folder and all its contents) with the aim of recreating it as a fresh install and then copying the config folder back to get all current settings restored.

Thank you very much. I am very sorry. I forgot to include the log.

I will do as you say. create a fresh install and report back.

Many thanks

Radislav

Update: 

I have recreated the unraid flashdrive with the usb creator utility and copied the config file over, but the problem persists.

The cache cannot be moved.. The config is not visible and the the vm wont boot.

Radislav

image.thumb.png.bcb6650ab70a7b1cc78e78880e01a635.png

Edited by Radislav

UPDATE:

I have managed to use another flash drive and fix the config issue. The problem is that the move function for the cache does not work and the wm cannt be run because its missing a USB device...

Any advice? Many thanks so far..

Edited by Radislav
important update

Doesn't look like you are having any flash problems in those. Are you booting from a USB2 port? Recommended.

Your cache is full and that is probably how you corrupted libvirt.

Your isos share has files on cache, but it is cache-no. Mover ignores cache-no and cache-only shares. Set it to cache-yes and run mover. 

The only other things on cache are appdata, domains, and system, and those should be on cache. Not clear what could be filling it unless you just have things setup wrong and are writing a lot of stuff into appdata. But dockers are currently disabled, don't know if you had some running before or not.

Go to Shares - User Shares and Compute All. If it doesn't produce results after a few minutes, refresh the page. That will show how much of each disk each user share is using. Post a screenshot. 

• Like 1

Dear Constructor.

Thank you for your insight. After a good night sleep I have noticed that there is a line in the log....

image.thumb.png.293aceb8057e2c2dcea0a547bb082cc9.png

So I killed the windows Vm and lauched the mover.... Voila.. it chrunched one iso... although the size of the cache remained the same... almost full.

(still a mistery, but that seems more like along the lines that the cache is not configured properly) (Any advice highly appreciated)

Howerver., i was able to launch my broken Ubuntu VM and the the screen with the journal error turned that the journal rebuild itself and it booted...
So I am over the moon. This is amazing... 

Aside

I know that the usb 2 is more stable and I always put the flash drives into 2.0.

That would make sense. I never ran any docker containers. Just two Vms. One windows and one Ubuntu.

image.thumb.png.fcbf02ea9722fe572a875674b267b88e.png

P.S (Linus from LTT was right... This community is truly amazing. Thanks to everyone who helped.)

Radislav

UPDATE: I

I think i have solved it. The cache for domains was set to prefer. That s the reason why it was full. I switched it to yes and then invoked the mover. The mover moved almost everything out and now I have a healthy 80GB cache utilization. 

I have learned a lot. Many thanks. You can mark this as solved.

Edited by Radislav