LAG Configuration in Unraid

Good afternoon everyone,

I have recently acquired a Negear GS748Tv4 switch which has Link Aggregation capability. I have frequently considered this in a constant pursuit to optimize my configuration and see how different technologies work. 

I have discovered with my Bond, I can switch it to option 4 (802.4ad) which seems to be meant to compliment the Link Aggregation technology in my Negear switch. However, when I have all 4 of my ports bonded on the Unraid server, and I turn on Link Aggregation in the switch on the ports the Unraid server connect to, I Lose connectivity. Once I disable LAG again, I restore connectivity.

I am curious, Is this technology not meant to be configured both on the switch and in Unraid? 

Or should the technology be able to be enabled both on the switch and Unraid and I should look further into configuring LAG on the switch as I may not fully understand how to impliment the LAG and allow communication to the rest of the switch?

Please let me know any experience anyone may have with this.

Thanks

Right,

So as I was looking for where to reboot my switch, I was hit with a power outage that rebooted all my network equipment for me. 

The solution it seems was that I required the LAG to be switched to the LACP standard. The key was the 802.4ad designation in the bond driver from within Unraid.

Research revealed:

IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation (802.3ad, LACP)

Creates aggregation groups that share the same speed and duplex settings. Utilizes all slave network interfaces in the active aggregator group according to the 802.3ad specification. This mode is similar to the XOR mode above and supports the same balancing policies. The link is set up dynamically between two LACP-supporting peers.

Both the switch and Unraid must be configured with the 802.3ad standard in order for LAG to work. From within the netgear switch I describe, you must select the Lag which will allow you to change from Static to LACP. This will allow your Netgear switch to use your Unraid LAG. 

I am putting this solution and screenshot here for anyone else that may run into a similar issue.

image.thumb.png.10387c05c98537bc757fd79f309f76f6.png

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...