(Solved) Migrating to a new server

I know this has been asked before, but I am doing something a little different. 

I am building a new server from scratch with NEW cache, larger parity drive, CPU etc. To replace a 5 year old system. 

Question - I have 4 HDD's in my old server I'd like to transfer into the new along with all the data intact. 

Can I simply re add the folders & data from the old drives to the "new" shares (same name) on the new server? 

OR do I need to transfer my USB key and all the settings? I'm trying to start fresh where I can. 

I was planning to use a new USB key and request a license transfer.  New server is currently on a trial license.

I have no encryption or anything unusual... 

I plan to rebuild all my dockers and restore my VM's from backups. 

Thanks in advance,

BR

Edited by bertrandr
Solved
5 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

...but note that disks can't be added to an existing array without doing a new config or they will be cleared.

Based on this I can NOT move my disks to a new server unless I also move the existing USB drive. -Correct? 
Adding data drives from an existing server to a NEW server / USB forces the drives to get cleared? Is there no way to do a physical drive move / import? I have close to 8TB of mixed data on the current drives...

Thanks,

BR

4 minutes ago, bertrandr said:

Based on this I can NOT move my disks to a new server unless I also move the existing USB drive. -Correct? 
Adding data drives from an existing server to a NEW server / USB forces the drives to get cleared? Is there no way to do a physical drive move / import? I have close to 8TB of mixed data on the current drives...

Thanks,

BR

If you move all the drives to a NEW array then the data is NOT cleared.    It is when you try to move them to an existing array that already has parity  protection in place as additional drives that their content is not preserved.

• Like 1

Ahh - thank you @itimpi! 

So the key is that any old HDD CAN be moved into a "new" array so long as there is no existing Parity in the target array -that makes sense. So I will wait to create the parity in the new array until I can decommission the old array. 

Thanks,

Bertrand.