Slower Network Write Speed to NVMe Cache Disk

I recently switched out my cache drive from an older 250GB Crucial SSD to a 500GB Samsung Evo 960 NVMe SSD using a PCI-e to NVMe adapter. The weird thing is, even though the NVMe drive is faster I'm seeing slower speeds from it, particularly when I transfer files to it over my gigabit hard-wired network. With the SATA SSD I could saturate my network every time transferring at 113MB/s both read and write. But with the NVMe SSD the fastest I can write to it over the network is 84MB/s and I still get 113MB/s reads from it so I know it's not the network. Here is the hardware I'm using:

Asrock 990FX Extreme9 w/ latest firmware - I'm using PCI-e slot #1 which is a PCI-e x16 slot

This PCIe to NVMe adapter - which is capable of 1500+MB/s write

Samsung Evo 960 NVMe SSD - which can easily max out the adapter

I enabled jumbo frames in Unraid's settings but that didn't make a difference. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

It's probably useful to attach Diagnostics (Tools -> Diagnostics -> attach zip file).

Have you done actual network-only test (e.g. iperf) and/or storage-only test (e.g. diskspeed docker, or even dd / rsync)?

Also as a side note, you sort of misunderstood how the adapter would work.

Given your mobo has PCIe 2.0 + the M.2 device is a x4 device + the adapter itself is just basically rewiring, your M.2 will only run at PCIe 2.0 x4 speed so theoretical 2GB/s max throughput. All those claimed speed numbers on the listing are meaningless.

Not that it should have any impact to your 84MB/s discussion here but just thought to mention it.

Watch the SpaceInvader One on iperf testing below. Without an actual test, you can't completely eliminate network issues.

With the 84MB/s, what sort of data are you copying over? Did you trim it? What's the reported temperature? Are you sure it's being written to cache and not to the array?

I transfer mostly video files, ranging from 1GB to 60GB and they always max out at 84MB/s now. The screenshot shows a transfer I just did. As you can see it hits 84MB/s right away and sits there, almost like there's a bottleneck somewhere. I am positive it's going to the cache drive. I monitored the cache drive temp in Unraid during the transfer and it stayed 88°F the whole time. I have the SSD trim app installed and set to run every 4 hours.

I'll watch that video and do the tests but it's highly unlikely it's a network issue when I've been doing hardwired transfers to this server at 113MB/s for over 5 years now and the ONLY thing that changed was switching out my SSD cache drive from a SATA one to an NVMe one.

Screenshot_20200330-114246_Remote Desktop.jpg

Finally had some time to watch the video and run iperf and shockingly it is the network causing the slowdown.

C:\iperf3>iperf3 -c 192.168.1.3
Connecting to host 192.168.1.3, port 5201
[  4] local 192.168.1.2 port 58770 connected to 192.168.1.3 port 5201
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec  84.0 MBytes   704 Mbits/sec
[  4]   1.00-2.00   sec  83.9 MBytes   704 Mbits/sec
[  4]   2.00-3.00   sec  84.0 MBytes   705 Mbits/sec
[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec  83.9 MBytes   704 Mbits/sec
[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec  83.8 MBytes   703 Mbits/sec
[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec  84.0 MBytes   704 Mbits/sec
[  4]   6.00-7.00   sec  84.0 MBytes   704 Mbits/sec
[  4]   7.00-8.00   sec  84.0 MBytes   704 Mbits/sec
[  4]   8.00-9.00   sec  83.9 MBytes   704 Mbits/sec
[  4]   9.00-10.00  sec  83.5 MBytes   700 Mbits/sec
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec   839 MBytes   704 Mbits/sec                  sender
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec   839 MBytes   704 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.

It just makes no sense to me since literally nothing about my network has changed since switching from SATA to NVMe SSD.

Aaaand I solved it. Decided to make sure I had the latest NIC software installed on my Windows 10 source machine, and sure enough after installing that I am now transferring at 113MB/s to my Unraid server.

Thank you everyone for helping me troubleshoot and leading me down the right path to fix the issue!