Cooling the X-Case RM424

fainttrace

So, I need some suggestions on cooling my hard drives and moving air thru out my case. The RM424 comes with 3 SuperRed fans (12V 1.60A). Due to the amperage, I can’t connect the fans directly to my motherboard. I found a fan controller that supports 3 amps per channel, but I will need PWM extension cables so I can connect the fans to the controller. From my limited research, it looks like PWM extension cables only support 1A. This can not be true, right?

If I can get the SuperRed fans running, I’m not going to be running them full tilt as it will be extremely loud. However, I do need a good bit of air flow thru my box due to the case, cpu, cpu cooler, and location of the server.  The box currently has a Asrock x399 Taichi, Threadripper 2920x (current temp is 155F),  NH-U9 TR4-SP3, 3 Arctic F12 Fans, and is in a bonus room upstairs. I have set all fans to performance mode (full tilt) in the motherboard bios, Precision Boot Overdrive is turned off, and my AC is running in my bonus room. At the time of this post, I only had 4 docker containers, and 1 VM (2 core) running and the cpu temp was 155F. 

Anyways, I could use some suggestions on cooling my box. Do I try to get the SuperRed fans running or looking into Noctua NF-A12, or the NF-F12.

Somebody please help me and I apologize for the rant.

unraid.jpg

Edited by fainttrace
server pic

I use identical case ( not 4U ), they come with SuperRed fan and I replace all to Arctic due to noise issue.

If you need cooling with SuperRed fan, you can direct connect it to backplane ( loss monitoring and control by mainboard ), there should have two jumper to control ( 4 level ) the speed.

Edited by Benson
2 hours ago, fainttrace said:

Question, will I noticed a big difference moving from a Arctic (1350 RPM) to a Noctua (3000 RPM) fan?

Sure have improvement, it also depends on how many bays occupate, expected no big different. You can est. the result from superred fan first.

Edited by Benson