Diagnose HDD Errors

I have had, I believe, a HDD failure as shown by the red bubble. The problem is I downloaded the syslogs, including the smart report but the only message i get back is:

/dev/sdf: requires option '-d cciss,N'
Please specify device type with the -d option.

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

How do I go about getting a smart report and confirming if the hdd has failed (and not just short term error) and where in the other logs would it be worth looking to identify root issue?

tower-diagnostics-20200329-2336.zip

1 hour ago, Sivivatu said:

How do I go about getting a smart report and confirming if the hdd has failed

It looks like there is no SMART data for any of the disks, normally I'd say check the power and data cables first but maybe the controller is either loose or bad. Check and re-seat what you can, especially if you were either in the box or moved it recently, then power up and post new diagnostics.

Edited by Dissones4U
17 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

SMART isn't working because you're using a raid controller, it *might* work if you select "HP cciss" on the SMART controller type (Settings -> Disk Settings)

So the HP cciss option has worked and appears to be giving me logical results. Im going to investigate the SMART logs myself but have attached here for reference as well

tower-diagnostics-20200331-1710.zip

Edited by Sivivatu
changed attached file

I will do that in future but it seems that rebooting the system has cleared the error and there doesnt appear to be any errors appearing. I will leave this for now and keep an eye on it but it looks to be an unidentified and, hopefully, transient error.

I do have some backup drives ready and available to go if the error appears again.