9600k vs 9700 vs 9700k for the following purpose...

rjbernaldo

Is it worth it to get the 9700k over the 9700 non k since the cpu will be used for unraid and no overclocking will be done?

benchmarks show that power consumption is less as well... https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-9700/3335vs3477

Adding my response below with full system specs and usage context:

There's quite a big difference between the K and non K here in Australia unfortunately...

9700k = $699 AUD

9700 = $579 AUD

9600K = $375 AUD (maybe I should just go with this one as it's half the price.

Along the cpu purchase I would be getting these components as well:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB

Crucial P1 1TB

Noctua NH-U9S

ASRock Z390-M-ITX/ac

The unraid machine will be my main computer.

1. 4 cores + my exisitng 980ti + 16gb ram dedicated to a Windows VM

2. 2 cores + intel iGPU + 8gb ram dedicated to an OSX VM

3. The rest goes to various docker containers (plex no transcoding, deluge, nextcloud, etc) and unraid system

Would going for the K be worth it in the context of my build?

Edited by rjbernaldo

I was in a similar position a month or so ago when I was looking at a k model vs a non-k for my build, with price being £10 more for the k model, I think it was.

The info I was given on here was that it's purely a performance based decision, so you need to weigh up the cost of each (think there's a ~$20 difference in the 2 you've mentioned), and if the nominal annual power cost (showed $6 difference on your comparison link between them) is a deal breaker.

My personal view is that I'd spend the extra $20 on the k model. I went with the i5-9600k for mine, as I wasn't fussed about the power usage over the year being slightly more than the other chip I had in mind.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, rjbernaldo said:

Is it worth it to get the 9700k over the 9700 non k since the cpu will be used for unraid and no overclocking will be done?

benchmarks show that power consumption is less as well... https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-9700/3335vs3477

"Worth it" depends not only on price and budget but also "what can you spend with the money you save".

As Benson said, you need to take into account the cost diff of the CPU + cost of an additional budget air cooler (unless you plan to use a 3rd party cooler regardless of CPU choice then exclude the cost of the cooler). That would probably work out to about $30 - $60 (or £30 - £60, the sterling is no longer as powerful as it once was). Let's just use $50 / £50 as a nice rounded estimate.

What can you buy with $50/£50 that would give you more than the 3.3% improvement (9700 vs 9700K)?

Have a think about it that way and it would make the decision much easier.

There's quite a big difference between the K and non K here in Australia unfortunately...

9700k = $699 AUD

9700 = $579 AUD

9600K = $375 AUD (maybe I should just go with this one as it's half the price.

Along the cpu purchase I would be getting these components as well:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB

Crucial P1 1TB

Noctua NH-U9S

ASRock Z390-M-ITX/ac

3. The rest goes to various docker containers (plex no transcoding, deluge, nextcloud, etc) and unraid system

Would going for the K be worth it in the context of my build?

I did think of 2700x as well but I don't think it's a good choice for me as

1. doesnt have iGPU

2. will be installed in an ITX board so yeah once again no iGPU

3. I'm already running an intel based system so don't want to reinstall from scratch

If it's worth it though then maybe? If anyone went for the 2700x route please let me know.

2 hours ago, rjbernaldo said:

3. I'm already running an intel based system so don't want to reinstall from scratch

Don't need reinstall, usually some plugin need reconfig, i.e. System temp due to hardware change.

Ryzen 2700 or 2700x also a good choice for more CPU horse power except you really need 2 GPU.

8 hours ago, rjbernaldo said:

Your (2) will be fraught with difficulty. Passing an iGPU to a VM is even tougher than a Vega and I have not seen any success story at all for the 9th-gen Intel iGPU. And then you add MacOS.

31 minutes ago, testdasi said:

Your (2) will be fraught with difficulty. Passing an iGPU to a VM is even tougher than a Vega and I have not seen any success story at all for the 9th-gen Intel iGPU. And then you add MacOS.

Ah, that's an issue. Thanks for bringing it up. Right now I can pass through my iGPU on my i5-4460 just fine but you're saying that when I move to 9th gen I won't be able to do that anymore?

I have a spare 580 lying around here maybe I should just go mATX.. I don't want to get rid of my case though :(