VM not starting: Possible to pass through top slot AMD card to a VM?

Hey I am quite new here but need some help :D

First my specs:

x570 Strix E

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

PCIe:

Top: 5700XT

Middle: 5700XT

Bottom: 5700XT

Unraid: Latest beta due to better Ryzen support (no problems or crashes. The described behavior was exactly the same on the release version)

I use the system as a NAS, a few dockers but manly as a 3 stations in one box gaming rig.

Therefore I need to pass through the first slot to a Windows10 VM. Passing through middle and bottom works nicely without problems.

However passing through the top one wont work. I get nothing but a black screen.

My mobo cant boot in headless mode or anything like that. It always boots with the top GPU no matter what.

Is this because of the AMD reset Bug? Are there any ways to overcome this?

I already tried to boot Windows (directly without Unraid), dump the VBIOS via GPU-Z and give that to the VM. That did not work.

Are there any steps I need to do with the BIOS.rom before passing it through to the VM?

Thanks and stay save everyone ;)

Edited by Metallus

Yes AMD reset bug.

Ideally, you can try compiling your own kernel with the navi / vega patch to see if it helps.

A forum member also compiled one with all the patches so you may want to try that if you can't compile your own.

Also try dumping vbios from Unraid command line instead of Windows.

There is also a SpaceInvader One vid with some tips and tweaks with AMD GPU that may also help.

Custom kernel post:

11 hours ago, testdasi said:

Yes AMD reset bug.

Ideally, you can try compiling your own kernel with the navi / vega patch to see if it helps.

A forum member also compiled one with all the patches so you may want to try that if you can't compile your own.

Also try dumping vbios from Unraid command line instead of Windows.

There is also a SpaceInvader One vid with some tips and tweaks with AMD GPU that may also help.

Custom kernel post:

Thanks for the infos! The space invader stuff I already tried but that did not work.  Will try the custom kernel tomorrow. 

How do I dump VBIOS form the comandline?